Inverter at ground level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee

Any restriction on mounting an inverter and DC disconnect at ground level on an interior garage wall?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Any restriction on mounting an inverter and DC disconnect at ground level on an interior garage wall?

I could be wrong but I think switches are supposed to be 18" above the floor so the integrated disco could be an issue.

Apologies if I made that up, I cannot recall a code section.

Carultch

What do you mean by "ground level"? Do you mean not one single inch between the unit and the dirt? Or do you simply mean at a position where someone standing on the ground can reach it?

If you mean the latter, no issue at all.

Zee

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Well....not dirt.... but concrete floor of garage...... and yeah 1 inch above it.

Technically this is a dc disconnect at its lowest point as the integrated dc disconnect is at the bottom of the inverter. (SolarEdge)

shortcircuit2

I thought we had to keep sources of ignition above 18-inches in a garage due the possibility of gasoline vapors.

Here is a rule I found...

IRC G2408.2 (IFGC 305.3) Elevation of ignition source.
Equipment and appliances having an ignition source shall be elevated such that the source of ignition is not less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the floor in hazardous locations and public garages, private garages, repair garages, motor fuel-dispensing facilities and parking garages.

For the purpose of this section, rooms or spaces that are not part of the living space of a dwelling unit and that communicate directly with a private garage through openings shall be considered to be part of the private garage.

Exception: Elevation of the ignition source is not required for appliances that are listed as flammable vapor ignition resistant.

Solar Peep

I thought we had to keep sources of ignition above 18-inches in a garage due the possibility of gasoline vapors.

Here is a rule I found...

IRC G2408.2 (IFGC 305.3) Elevation of ignition source.
Equipment and appliances having an ignition source shall be elevated such that the source of ignition is not less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the floor in hazardous locations and public garages, private garages, repair garages, motor fuel-dispensing facilities and parking garages.

For the purpose of this section, rooms or spaces that are not part of the living space of a dwelling unit and that communicate directly with a private garage through openings shall be considered to be part of the private garage.

Exception: Elevation of the ignition source is not required for appliances that are listed as flammable vapor ignition resistant.

Im not following your rule. It says equipment or appliances having an ignition source. Discos don't have an ignition source like a furnace or water heater with a pilot light.

Carultch

Im not following your rule. It says equipment or appliances having an ignition source. Discos don't have an ignition source like a furnace or water heater with a pilot light.

I agree. I'm not following the train of thought.

Unless the internal arc during the action of load breaking is considered an ignition source, albeit something we want to not be an ignition source.

shortcircuit2

Electrical equipment is often considered a source of ignition from arcs of sparks internal to that equipment. I have to keep electrical equipment 3 feet away from a natural gas regulator outside a building and further for propane tanks. I keep everything at around 4-feet in garages I wire.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Unless the internal arc during the action of load breaking is considered an ignition source, albeit something we want to not be an ignition source.
In the philosophy of hazardous locations, anything that arcs, sparks or has a temperature high enough to ignite the specified ignitable material while operating within its own design parameters is an ignition source. "Normal" does not necessarily mean "common" or "frequent", rather it is a non-failure mode or operation of the equipment in question, even if it is responding to some other failure within the system. For Division 2 the "ignitable material" doesn't actually have to be present.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Well....not dirt.... but concrete floor of garage...... and yeah 1 inch above it.

Technically this is a dc disconnect at its lowest point as the integrated dc disconnect is at the bottom of the inverter. (SolarEdge)
Most inverter companies specify a minimum distance above grade.

SolarPro

From the installation manual (emphasis added):

1. Determine the inverter mounting location, on a wall, stud framing or pole. To allow
proper heat dissipation, maintain the following minimum clearance areas between the
inverter and other objects:
l If installing a single inverter:
o At least 20 cm (8") to the top and bottom of the inverter; if installing an inverter
with a DC Safety Unit, make sure to leave sufficient clearance for cable entry.
o 10 cm (4") to the right and left of the inverter. For easy access to the fans (three
phase inverters), you may leave larger clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.