Thin-film modules & grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again everyone,

I am reading the installation manual for some frameless 6mm Stion CIGS modules, and it says the following:

"Stion frameless modules do not have exposed conductive parts and therefore are not required to be grounded. The company installingthe PV module is also responsible for the professional grounding. The array electrical circuit typically must be grounded in accordancewith local building and electrical codes. All grounding must be performed to be compliant with the latest National Electrical Code (NEC)regulations that are applicable for the jurisdiction. If the building is already equipped with an exterior lightning protection system, the PV installationmust be integrated in the protection system against direct effects of lightning. Country-specific standards must be adhered to."

I find the tension between the first and second sentences to be humorous. I'm predicting the AHJ will have a hard time with this. Do you think I will run into bureaucracy if I propose not to ground them? I'm in California.

Kind Regards,
Andy

SolarPro

Per the equipment grounding requirements in the NEC, you need to bond all of the metal components in PV system—or any other electrical system for that matter—to ground. Since the Stion modules are frameless, your bonding scheme does not need to account for any aluminum module frames. But it does apply to all of the other conductive metal mounting system components.

Depending on the inverter you are using, you could, in theory, install these Stion modules as part of a grounded PV system or as part of an ungrounded PV system. In the former is the case, your installation will also need to comply with the system grounding requirements in the NEC. A separate subsection in 690 details the requirements for ungrounded PV systems.

The Stion installation manual seems to conflate equipment bonding and system grounding requirements. While the manual is confusing to read, the code requirements are not contradictory. Suffice it to say, that even ungrounded PV systems need to comply with equipment bonding requirements in the NEC.

If you want to take the nerdy deep dive, see:

Grounding Compendium for PV Systems
Ungrounded PV Power Systems in the NEC

Last edited:

zman990

Nice I have been installing sunpreme panels for almost a year the bifacial and frameless module's will change the industry.
I have been amazed to see the ability of bifacial panels although a person has to purposely try to achieve the bifacial backboost it does work.
309watts on a 300 watt panel can't wait for spring.
I'm expecting 320 watts or more on 300 watt module.
extra white high gloss paint under panels and you can achieve backboost on a fixed tilt residential roof shingles tile it doesn't matter.
It's all about the power so paint and highly consider for commercial white roofs.
?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

zman990

Didn't have anything to do with grounding the system but frameless modules do not require weeb clips there is nothing to ground to.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.