1000 volt wire on commercial projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar Peep

I have a project coming up that is a 1000 volt system. My supplier is having a difficult time locating 1000 volt rated wire. Most of our DC runs are #10 PV 600 volt wire, but this project requires DC wire up to #1. Does anyone have experience with 1000 volt wire?

I have a project coming up that is a 1000 volt system. My supplier is having a difficult time locating 1000 volt rated wire. Most of our DC runs are #10 PV wire, but this project requires DC wire up to #1. Does anyone have experience with 1000 volt wire?

1KV/2KV PV wire should not be a problem. Encore makes it, southwire makes it. Try another supply house. DC wire up to #1????? how on earth is it that you need sizes that big??

Solar Peep

1KV/2KV PV wire should not be a problem. Encore makes it, southwire makes it. Try another supply house. DC wire up to #1????? how on earth is it that you need sizes that big??
Thanks for the names of the companies. This is a design from an EE but long story short. 21 modules on a string voltages exceed 600volts (649 volts I think it was, I'm not the designer :D) Plus the size of wire is because it is stupidly far run. They told me 350'. Strange I know..

Thanks for the names of the companies. This is a design from an EE but long story short. 21 modules on a string voltages exceed 600volts (649 volts I think it was, I'm not the designer :D) Plus the size of wire is because it is stupidly far run. They told me 350'. Strange I know..

That doesnt seem right. IIRC the jobs we are doing now we can go up to 350 feet before going above #10. Did you really mean #1 and not #10?

zman990

I have a project coming up that is a 1000 volt system. My supplier is having a difficult time locating 1000 volt rated wire. Most of our DC runs are #10 PV 600 volt wire, but this project requires DC wire up to #1. Does anyone have experience with 1000 volt wire?
xhhw-2 wire

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

zman990

http://www.encorewire.com

I would say give this company a call and ask for 1000volt xhhw-2 solar pv wire they have everything you need.
This wire can be used in exposed cable trays on roof and in the 2014 it is exempt to raising the conduit for derates.
I use this wire on all jobs for dc source circuits because it is by far the best.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

These people are very helpful.
PV wire is either 600V or 2kV here, but if the system is grounded looks like this RW-90 is OK, but not "the best". (it's the last of the > links here, double jacketed)

Photovoltaic Wire beats USE-2 Cable in low temperature flexibility, sunlight resistance, and flame resistance. Photovoltaic Wiring for solar panels also has a thicker jacket and thicker insulation than USE-2 Solar Power Cable.
http://www.awcwire.com/producttoc.aspx?id=solar-cable

Double Jacketed PV Wire Industry Approvals:

• UL 4703 Type PV Wire
  • UL 854 Type USE, USE-2 (600V)
  • UL 44 CSA C 22.2 No 38 Type RW-90 (1000V)
  • UL 44 Type RHH, RHW, RHW-2

iwire

Staff member
These people are very helpful.
PV wire is either 600V or 2kV here, but if the system is grounded looks like this RW-90 is OK, but not "the best". (it's the last of the > links here, double jacketed)

Photovoltaic Wire beats USE-2 Cable in low temperature flexibility, sunlight resistance, and flame resistance. Photovoltaic Wiring for solar panels also has a thicker jacket and thicker insulation than USE-2 Solar Power Cable.
http://www.awcwire.com/producttoc.aspx?id=solar-cable

Double Jacketed PV Wire Industry Approvals:

• UL 4703 Type PV Wire
  • UL 854 Type USE, USE-2 (600V)
  • UL 44 CSA C 22.2 No 38 Type RW-90 (1000V)
  • UL 44 Type RHH, RHW, RHW-2

Are you an electrian or an EE.

BillK-AZ

If your cold string voltage will exceed 600V, then you need a 1000-volt inverter. Most if not all 1000-volt inverters are transformerless and as such require the use of 'PV' wire. 1000/2000 Volt PV wire is available in sizes from 14 AWG to 750 MCM.

Most PV inverters these days are designed to remember the highest input and output voltages. If these are exceeded, the warranty is void.

I do not know about other states, but in Arizona the usual electrical contracting license is for up to 600V. Over 600V requires a special medium voltage license.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
If your cold string voltage will exceed 600V, then you need a 1000-volt inverter. Most if not all 1000-volt inverters are transformerless and as such require the use of 'PV' wire. 1000/2000 Volt PV wire is available in sizes from 14 AWG to 750 MCM.

Most PV inverters these days are designed to remember the highest input and output voltages. If these are exceeded, the warranty is void.

I do not know about other states, but in Arizona the usual electrical contracting license is for up to 600V. Over 600V requires a special medium voltage license.
Didn't the 2014 NEC redefine MV as above 1000V instead of 600V? I heard that but I haven't seen it

If your cold string voltage will exceed 600V, then you need a 1000-volt inverter.

I was a little confused too, but I assumed the voltages given by the OP were MPPT voltages. The numbers seem about right for 21 250 watt panels and a 1000 volt system. Perhaps the OP can clarify. Actually just realized he is in seattle, he could probably go 22 in a string no prob.

Carultch

Does this occur after you combine multiple strings? Or is this individual string wiring?

If you are using this for individual string wiring, be aware that few (if any) connectors (MC4's, H4's etc) are available for larger than #8. You may need an enclosure with a splice capable of the larger sizes.

Are you an electrian or an EE.

No, but I have both types of people working with me. Sorry if my suggestion offended you.
All I'm saying is that, if:
Most of our DC runs are #10 PV 600 volt wire, but this project requires DC wire up to #1. Does anyone have experience with 1000 volt wire?

yes, Allied WC has 1000V wire in #1 gauge, and if the OP fills out a RFQ, they'll get back to him/her quickly, and will be quite helpful.
---
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ggunn
Didn't the 2014 NEC redefine MV as above 1000V instead of 600V? I heard that but I haven't seen it

Yep. Articles 490, 470, and 450.
http://ewbusaenergy.blogspot.com/2014/01/analysis-of-changes-in-nec-2014-high.html

SolarPro

Wow. It's a sad day when forum moderators can't adhere to basic tenets of civil discourse.

It's true that many people who work for solar companies are neither electricians or engineers. It's also true that many electrician and electrical engineers have no experience with PV systems. Last time I checked, this conversation was filed under the "Photovoltaic Forum." Seems like people might want to hear from subject matter experts who deal with these unique electrical systems on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.