Strut-Type Channel Raceway 384.10 Uses Permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anode

For a few different commercial projects we have used strut as a raceway on 600v systems. Particularly helpful with Renusol tub racking as the strut connects the rows together and doubles as a nice raceway. Also particularly cost-effective for those of you who are doing EVERYTHING in conduit.

My question is that 384.10(4) clearly states 600V or less. I have a 1000V system, the question is simply does anyone know the reason why this is limited to 600v, and if there are any exceptions, either currently under NEC 2014, or planned for the future.

This particular design of this array would make strut a dream for wire management. All PV source circuit conductors are PV wire, and would enter conduit within 2' of leaving the various sub arrays.

Part of the issues is that we have long sub arrays, basically each sub array is 3x18; 3 columns - 18 rows, so they are long skinny sub arrays - 10 of them. The idea was to run the jumpers and home runs in the strut under the array. We are just trying to protect the source circuit conductors from damage between the inter rows of racking.

Open to suggestions here as well.

Carultch

For a few different commercial projects we have used strut as a raceway on 600v systems. Particularly helpful with Renusol tub racking as the strut connects the rows together and doubles as a nice raceway. Also particularly cost-effective for those of you who are doing EVERYTHING in conduit.

My question is that 384.10(4) clearly states 600V or less. I have a 1000V system, the question is simply does anyone know the reason why this is limited to 600v, and if there are any exceptions, either currently under NEC 2014, or planned for the future.

This particular design of this array would make strut a dream for wire management. All PV source circuit conductors are PV wire, and would enter conduit within 2' of leaving the various sub arrays.

Part of the issues is that we have long sub arrays, basically each sub array is 3x18; 3 columns - 18 rows, so they are long skinny sub arrays - 10 of them. The idea was to run the jumpers and home runs in the strut under the array. We are just trying to protect the source circuit conductors from damage between the inter rows of racking.

Open to suggestions here as well.

It is probably a blindspot that they didn't catch when they updated this article for 2014. There is no physical reason why it shouldn't work as a wiring method for KV PV wire on a 1000V PV system, although you may need to get approval from the AHJ to see if they agree.

Be careful with physical damage for this wiring method. You may end up finding a fault in a pinch, if the strut nut shreds the wiring. Very common on strut-based racking systems.

Anode

It is probably a blindspot that they didn't catch when they updated this article for 2014. There is no physical reason why it shouldn't work as a wiring method for KV PV wire on a 1000V PV system, although you may need to get approval from the AHJ to see if they agree.

Be careful with physical damage for this wiring method. You may end up finding a fault in a pinch, if the strut nut shreds the wiring. Very common on strut-based racking systems.

This is pretty much what the general consensus was with our engineer, the commercial electricians, etc. Interestingly, this was already permitted, and was oversight on my part in the design, and everyone elses who approved it.

Seeing is how the system operational voltage is under 600v, and the maximum TcVoc is only 699v, I may be able to get them to buy off on this. Good suggestion, as we have all been talking about cost-effective ideas, it may just be easiest to bring it to the AHJ for approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.