#6 bare to #10 stranded and other transition questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am self installing solar on my home. Just about done with racking and about to move onto installing SolarEdge optimizers and the panels.

I am sure the friend that is helping me with the electrical side knows most of this already, but I like to understand this stuff myself, plus he is not familiar with solar specific installations. I would also like to be able to pre purchase as much of the supplies as possible as to not inconvenience him.

I have 2 arrays (16 and 15 panels) that are about 6' from each other on 2 different planes.

My questions are
1. I will go from PV to THWN in jbox/emt to the panel. I know wire nuts are not good for this application. Can I use a terminal block for this purpose inside a sealed jbox?

2. What's the best way to transition from #6 bare wire to the stranded #10 ground in the jbox? Split bolt, buchanan, something else?

3. Will I be able to pass emt under an array to meet up with a jbox on the other side and have enough roof clearance?

If there's already a post with some information about this, please let me know. I dont mind reading, but was not finding anything.

Thanks!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended to assist electricians, electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical profession with their job related duties. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical troubleshooting, installation, or maintenance work.

Status
Not open for further replies.