Favorite feet for new composite roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyO

What would you use for a new roof install? (composite roof with 3/12-5/12 slope)
For the job that is prompting me to ask, the shingles will be getting removed and new roof installed.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
What would you use for a new roof install? (composite roof with 3/12-5/12 slope)
For the job that is prompting me to ask, the shingles will be getting removed and new roof installed.

I'm assuming 'shingle' just means typical asphalt composition shingle...

First, I'd try to talk the other parties out of it. I'd say "Let me treat this just like any job where the roof is not being redone, and I'll come in after the new roof is all done and use my standard flashings. Yes, I'll still warranty my penetrations just like any other job. Otherwise it costs me more in materials and labor and I have to consider whether to charge you for that. The method I'll use is not more likely to leak than the alternative." Also, if the request is coming from the homeowner, then also ask: "Have you asked your roofer if they are going to charge more for the labor to roof around the solar standoffs?"

If the request is coming from the roofer, who insists their entire warranty is voided if you make one hole after they are gone, then here's the answer to your question...

The only complete product I'm aware of for this application is Quickmount PV Qbase composition mount. It's expensive but it avoids any question of whether you're using something completely engineered for the purpose, and it comes with all necessary parts. It's what I've used lately in these situations.
http://www.quickmountpv.com/products/qbase-comp-mount.html

Alternatively, for less money, you could use ProSolar Fast Jacks or Unirac 4" standoffs and buy the properly sized Oatey flashings with built-in collars. You know, the really old school method.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
These B-Line roof blocks are popular here.
122803805.jpg

Carultch

These B-Line roof blocks are popular here.
122803805.jpg

Those are for flat roofs, and primarily for supporting BOS components and conduit, instead of the array. Sometimes they are part of a ballasted rooftop system.

Are you aware of any roofing compatibility issues with those blocks? It is like trying to prove a negative to determine membrane compatibility with the who-knows-what in recycled rubber.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You are definitely correct... my error in reading the OP. I thought he was speaking of conduit support.

SolarChuk

flat roof

flat roof

lots of good options out there. being such a flat roof I wouldnt cut corners. If your doing the install it would be helpful if the roofer marked out the rafters.

Status
Not open for further replies.