Grid Tie Inverter not synching

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
I have a cheapo 600W GTE connected to (2) 240W panels connected in parallel. It has been operating fine for about 3 yrs but now I am finding that it goes in an out of synchronism on a regular basis.
The GTE has a row of LEDs that flash from end to end back and forth. When out of synch it stops moving in the sequence, but tries and just flickers. When out of synch the I measure 36VDC (unloaded) when synched it drops to 30VDC. I also have an AC ammeter and VM on the output. When out of synch I read 122VAC & 0 amps. Synched I read 120VAC & 2 to 3 A AC.
My experience show that when a SS component fails it usually stays that way. But in this case it comes back to life. It is not the ilanding protection causing it because the utility voltage is solid.
Any ideas? I know...I know....buy a good inverter !!! :cool:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have a cheapo 600W GTE connected to (2) 240W panels connected in parallel. It has been operating fine for about 3 yrs but now I am finding that it goes in an out of synchronism on a regular basis.
The GTE has a row of LEDs that flash from end to end back and forth. When out of synch it stops moving in the sequence, but tries and just flickers. When out of synch the I measure 36VDC (unloaded) when synched it drops to 30VDC. I also have an AC ammeter and VM on the output. When out of synch I read 122VAC & 0 amps. Synched I read 120VAC & 2 to 3 A AC.
My experience show that when a SS component fails it usually stays that way. But in this case it comes back to life. It is not the ilanding protection causing it because the utility voltage is solid.
Any ideas? I know...I know....buy a good inverter !!! :cool:
Is this one of those quasi legal inverters that plugs into a household outlet?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
yeah you got it but it does carry a UL label.

Since UL does not have any classification that permits cord and plug connected grid tie inverters, chances are that either the UL listing label is counterfeit or it is really just a UL recognized component (reverse RU) label on the power cord itself.

A real UL listing will have a file number which can be verified online.

Status
Not open for further replies.