690.47(D) Exception 1 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
"An array grounding electrode(s) shall not be required where the load supplied by the array is integral with the array."

That language is confusing to me; what does it mean by "the array"? By the definition in 690.2 the array is only the DC part of the system, so wouldn't the inverter be the load supplied by the array? If that is so, any time the inverter is "integral" with the array, whatever that means...

Integral: adjective 1. of, relating to, or belonging as a part of the whole; constituent or component: integral parts.

... you don't have to have a grounding electrode on the array. Any time an array is connected to an inverter, that inverter is "of, relating to, or belonging as part of the whole" PV system, is it not?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I've always interpreted this exception as being intended for modules that service a single device. e.g. a solar powered DC light or radio instrument mounted on a pole with a small battery and not connected to an inverter or to any other structure.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
By the definition in 690.2 the array is only the DC part of the system, so wouldn't the inverter be the load supplied by the array?
I don't know anything about 690, but I would read 'load' to be a synonym for 'utilization equipment', and I would say an inverter is a 'device', not 'utilization equipment'. See the Article 100 definitions.

Cheers, Wayne

bwaryjasz

"An array grounding electrode(s) shall not be required where the load supplied by the array is integral with the array."

That language is confusing to me; what does it mean by "the array"? By the definition in 690.2 the array is only the DC part of the system, so wouldn't the inverter be the load supplied by the array? If that is so, any time the inverter is "integral" with the array, whatever that means...

Integral: adjective 1. of, relating to, or belonging as a part of the whole; constituent or component: integral parts.

... you don't have to have a grounding electrode on the array. Any time an array is connected to an inverter, that inverter is "of, relating to, or belonging as part of the whole" PV system, is it not?

I have always understood this section to relate to using micro-inverters where the inverters (or load as you state) are integral with the physical array. correct me if I'm wrong please.

Status
Not open for further replies.