NEC 2017 - Maximum Voltage Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew445

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Specifically, I am referring to section 690.7(A)(3). I am curious as to how this would actually be implemented.

From my understanding, this section allows a licensed engineer to perform system modelling via the Sandia method (PVsyst, etc.) to calculate a more accurate/realistic maximum system voltage. The idea being cold temperatures do not occur at the same time as high irradiation, so the simple temp. correction is conservative. If developers are able to add an extra module to each string, they could realize substantial BOS savings.

My question comes down to the actual implementation of this method. PVsyst (amongst other modelling software) can produce 8760 files including a value for array voltage. I would imagine the Sandia method inherent to the software adjusts the array voltage for the specific atmospheric conditions, as well as module orientation, inverter MPPT operation etc. In doing so, one could sort the 8760 voltages and identify the highest value, ensuring it is below 1500V. I have actually done a variation of this in the past (with AHJ approval).

I guess my question comes down to if there is any resource or guidance out there that can back-up my understanding. I would like to have more confidence in my methodology, and if there is a better way of doing things, but nothing has surfaced in my web searching. Everything done here comes down to the inputs into the model. For example, if I were to select the TMY3 weather data, could I be reasonably confident that the results represent a worst-case year? And we are trusting the manufacturer provided files as well (e.g. pan).

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Specifically, I am referring to section 690.7(A)(3). I am curious as to how this would actually be implemented.

From my understanding, this section allows a licensed engineer to perform system modelling via the Sandia method (PVsyst, etc.) to calculate a more accurate/realistic maximum system voltage. The idea being cold temperatures do not occur at the same time as high irradiation, so the simple temp. correction is conservative.
FWIW, system voltage has relatively little to do with irradiance.

ggunn

Occupation
FWIW, system voltage has relatively little to do with irradiance. What you have to be careful of is the open circuit voltage produced by an array at dawn after a very cold night.

FWIW, system voltage has relatively little to do with irradiance. What you have to be careful of is the open circuit voltage produced by an array at dawn after a very cold night.

Voltage may have "relatively ittle to do" with irradiance, but little is all you may need. Why ignore 20, 30, or 40 volts? Say you are half a module over, well even 98% voltage from accounting for low irradiance will get you that extra module. I have always complained about using full irradiance for the Voc calcs and I am a huge fan of these new allowances.

ggunn

Occupation
Voltage may have "relatively ittle to do" with irradiance, but little is all you may need. Why ignore 20, 30, or 40 volts? Say you are half a module over, well even 98% voltage from accounting for low irradiance will get you that extra module. I have always complained about using full irradiance for the Voc calcs and I am a huge fan of these new allowances.
Whatever floats yer boat. In my designs I seldom to never see where it would make a significant difference, and I don't like operating that close to the line, anyway. YMMV, of course.

I seldom to never see where it would make a significant difference, and I don't like operating that close to the line, anyway. YMMV, of course.

I assume up here in the NE where we have much colder temperatures is where we would get more benefit from taking into account irradiance.

Also, I admit I have not used such software so I am not sure what exactly it comes up with over the "Standard method", however from real world measurements, there seems to be quite a bit to be gained.

Andrew445

Inactive, Email Never Verified
FWIW, system voltage has relatively little to do with irradiance.

The typical temperature-corrected voltage would never occur in reality. While it is true the voltage change is a small number, the effect is not relatively little. I have used this method to gain an extra module per string in southern climates to great success, albeit on larger utility-scale projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.