By-pass diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapdos

New User
Hi, I do not speak English, I'm using a google translator.
I'm doing a paper on photovoltaics and I need some help with the translation "Diode by pass". This is what translated google translator .... could you correct the grammar?
There would be pictures, so it says in the following illustration.

1. In the normal operating conditions of a cell, schematized in the following illustration, the current generated by the cells is absorbed by the load (resistance R).

2. Photovoltaic module connected to a load (image)

3. Otherwise, in the following figure, it is reported that, following the fall of a leaf, one of the cells is shaded.

4. Shaded photovoltaic module without di-pass diode (image)

5. This cell stops generating current and in turn becomes a load by reversing its polarity and absorbing the electrical energy produced by the other cells with the effect of heating. In these cases, the reverse current passage can be hindered through the shaded cell (hot spot) by a bypass pass diode connected to the cell itself, as shown in the following illustration.

6. Shaded photovoltaic module with by-pass diode (image)

7. Theoretically, to provide the best system efficiency, a diode for each cell would be expected, but to simplify the production process and to reduce the cost of the modules, the manufacturing industries are usually used one every 18 or 20 cells. If a module is lying in the vicinity of shady objects (eg fireplaces, antennas, cables, etc.) its volumetric characteristic is improved by the by-pass diode. Without this, the whole current of the module would be determined by that of the shaded string. The following figure shows a 36-cell module with two diodes, which ensure that the maximum current flows through at least the unshaded eight cells.

8. Shading a cell of a standard 36-cell module with two by-pass diodes ​(image)

BillK-AZ

In the USA we generally use the term 'bypass diode'.

I suggest the following:

3. If a solar cell in a series string is shaded, such as by a leaf, its ability to pass the current generated by the other cells is reduced in proportion to the shading.

5. The voltage from the other cells will cause a reverse voltage across the shaded cell, the reverse voltage depends on the solar cell characteristics. As a result, the solar cell will heat up, causing a hot spot in the photovoltaic module. Hot spots can destroy modules and even cause fires. The reverse voltage can be limited by bypass diodes connected across the solar cell(s) to provide an alternate current path that bypasses the solar cell. Generally, bypassing 18 to 20 cells provides enough protection to prevent damaging hot spots. In low voltage systems, bypassing diodes connected across fewer solar cells can improve performance in shading situations.

Further discussion- When PV modules are connected in parallel, the parallel modules can also contribute reverse current to shaded cells, increasing the power available to heat the shaded cell. This is very important when modules are used in series. The internationally agreed testing of PV modules includes hot spot testing. The maximum number of cells bypassed by a diode depends on cell reverse voltage characteristics and it is the manufacturer's responsibility to provide bypass diodes at the level needed to pass the tests. The manufacturer must pass the hot spot tests at current levels as set by the label listing of the maximum series fuse rating. The bypass diodes must be rated for this maximum fuse current, at the maximum operating temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.