New distribution panel next to meter base

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY-solar

I am doing a DIY solar install at my house and ideally want to put in a new distribution panel next to my meter base. It has a single 200 amp main, which feeds 4/0 Al to panel in garage, also with a 200 amp main.

The meter's main has a single set of lugs. I cannot see into the meter jaw area, but assume its a single output as well.

How would I most easily be able to add a parallel panel here? I think either a 200 amp panel with dual lugs, or a feed through 200 amp, both with no main breaker. For the dual lugs, can I route the 4/0 Al going to garage to the new panel and run new 4/0 from other set of lugs to existinf 200 amp main? Then, also have a single (non-pass thru) ground and neutral (unbonded) back to the main panel? If I'd have to go with a feed through, I assume both ground and neutral would also have to feed through?

Which is best here? See attachment for current main and meter base.

Attachments

• 2017-06-26 00.12.24.jpg
    2017-06-26 00.12.24.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.