Load side tap disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eros

When installing a load side feeder tap for a solar array, I need to install a AC (non-fuseable) disconnect for the utility requirements located by the utility meter. Do i need to install a second fuseable disco to protect the solar wires from the utility disco to the tap location or will changing the utility disco to a fused disco do the job ?
What code article can i reference
Thx

I need to install a AC (non-fuseable) disconnect for the utility requirements located by the utility meter.

Do i need to install a second fuseable disco to protect the solar wires from the utility disco to the tap location or

will changing the utility disco to a fused disco do the job ?

What code article can i reference

Yes.

No.

No. (Well, yes, but the job is not required...)

Not sure- I don't think the utility switch requirement is even in the NEC.

I think when you have an OCPD for a single inverter or combined inverters on the PV side of the "utility switch", and a PV breaker at the load panel side of the same switch, you are fine.

"not line side" (aka "load side")= https://www9.nationalgridus.com/non_html/DG_sample_1line_A.pdf

"line side"= https://www9.nationalgridus.com/non_html/DG_sample_1line_B.pdf

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Simply put, if one disco fulfills both sets of requirements then you only need one (fused) disco. Whether you can do that depends on the details of your job.

Most likely the utility will have no problem with using a fused disco. They just want a disconnecting means and possibly a 'visible break' disco. But you can ask them to be sure.

The problem I see as most likely to occur is that if you have to put your fused disco within 10ft of the tap, it might not be able to be in a location that the utility accepts as accessible to their personnel (e.g. outside, or where there are no dogs). You might have to use the 25ft tap rules or put in a second disco if you encounter that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.