Was 690.31(J) in the 2014 NEC removed from 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunFish

NABCEP Certified
Occupation
Sr. PV Systems Design Engineer
Can anyone tell me if 690.31(J) in the 2014 NEC was completely removed from the 2017 NEC version? Or did they move these requirements to a different section?

This was the requirement that said panel removal could not disrupt continuity of the grounded conductors connection to other PV source circuits.

SunFish

NABCEP Certified
Occupation
Sr. PV Systems Design Engineer
Also...

Also...

Also, what is the intention of this code anyway?? How could one physically interrupt a grounded conductor connection in a separate string by removing a module from a different string? I understand how modules in the same string could have the grounded conductor connection interrupted. But not different strings.

Can someone explain? Are they trying to refer to the equipment ground conductor, and not the negative, which is normally referred to as the "grounded" conductor in transformer type inverters? What exactly would one have to do to remove a panel and have the grounded conductor of other strings become interrupted. The more I read this code item the less it makes sense...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One way it could happen, I suppose, would be if each panel had a terminal post or two jacks attached to the negative conductor of that panel. At the negative most panel one jumper would come in from the first string and one would go to the inverter. Removing that panel would remove the interconnection.
A rather unlikely situation, but perhaps one the CMP would worry about.
Same as using a receptacle (two screws or two stabs) for neutral continuity.
A much more likely situation would be an MC4 wye cable, like using a pigtail at the receptacle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.