Split bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

How would you apply the 120% Rule to a main panel with a split bus? Let's use a 400A main panel with a 200A/200A split bus for this example.

Would you have to distribute the OCPD's evenly? Ex: 40A PV breaker on one bus, and a 40A on the other?

Or could you just put all 80A on one bus?

Regards,
Andy

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Unless the documentation clearly indicated otherwise, I think you have to assume that each busbar set is 200A and can only handle 40A. If you need over 40A of backfeed then perhaps micro-inverters are a cheaper solution where they otherwise wouldn't be.

Thank you for your reply.

On the panel sticker it says:

Meter Socket Rating: 400 amps continuous
Branch Rating: 400 amps
Rating of Device is sum total of Service Disconnects No. 1 and No. 2

Since the branch rating is 400 amps, I wonder if that would be evidence that I could put an 80 amp breaker on either bus, even though each part is protected by a 200 amp breaker?

I'm using Enphase IQ6 microinverters, but I'm trying to have a single disconnect in the main panel. It's a rather large system. I was hoping to have (4) 20 amp PV breakers in a subpanel (along with a breaker for the Enphase Envoy data monitoring), which goes to a single 100 amp AC disconnect, and then to the main panel. If I have to divide it between both busses, I'll have to have two subpanels, two AC disconnects, two Envoys, etc.).

Regards,
Andy

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Thank you for your reply.

On the panel sticker it says:

Meter Socket Rating: 400 amps continuous
Branch Rating: 400 amps
Rating of Device is sum total of Service Disconnects No. 1 and No. 2

Since the branch rating is 400 amps, I wonder if that would be evidence that I could put an 80 amp breaker on either bus, even though each part is protected by a 200 amp breaker?

I'm using Enphase IQ6 microinverters, but I'm trying to have a single disconnect in the main panel. It's a rather large system. I was hoping to have (4) 20 amp PV breakers in a subpanel (along with a breaker for the Enphase Envoy data monitoring), which goes to a single 100 amp AC disconnect, and then to the main panel. If I have to divide it between both busses, I'll have to have two subpanels, two AC disconnects, two Envoys, etc.).

Regards,
Andy

If you have a 200A bus protected by a 200A breaker, 40A is all the headroom you have to work with irrespective of whatever is upstream from it.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Ask the manufacturer to clarify the ratings of the different bus sections.

I don't see why you'd need two Envoys.

I don't know for sure, but I have heard that the Envoys don't like to be installed in the MDP if the trunks are combined in a subpanel.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
On the other hand, I've seen Envoy's communicate with the neighbor's inverters across the street. It all depends. I'd try it with one before spending the $$ on a 2nd.

Thanks everyone! I called Eaton and discussed their panel with them. They said 40A on the upper disconnect section / 40A on the lower disconnection section was the max. PV allowed because although it's a 400A panel, only the meter socket is rated for 400A. The busses are 200A.

Zee

Thanks everyone! I called Eaton and discussed their panel with them. They said 40A on the upper disconnect section / 40A on the lower disconnection section was the max. PV allowed because although it's a 400A panel, only the meter socket is rated for 400A. The busses are 200A.

If you replace one of the 2p200 brkr with a 2p150A breaker assuming the 200A breakers can be replaced properly per manufacturers rules....:thumbsup:
, you can add 90A!

But I bet you are all done with the job by now....late reply on my end.:dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.