Connecting PV to older Panel of unknown history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

We are installing 8KW in a barn on a rural farm site. We are back feeding into a sub panel that is very old and cob webby. It's not necessarily dangerous but the whole situation is not up to code. All exposed romex run on top of joists, romex straight into fixtures. Pretty typical old school homeowner type stuff.

We are based in a rural area so this type of work is not uncommon around here, but it's rare that we are installing PV into an electrical system this old.

We considered upgrading the panel but I am afraid if we do so we will have to own up to the whole barn's wiring. I have found the breakers I need for the old panel so I think I am going to try my luck and hope the inspector just looks at the PV and doesn't poke around too much.

Does anyone have experience with a situation like this? What is recommended? There is no record of an inspection but the owner (original owners daughter) says she thinks it was many many years ago.

thanks

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't think there's really a substitute for being familiar with the AHJ's behavior. Most AHJs I work with don't go out of there way to look for things, but if there's stuff they can't help but notice while standing at the panel you're connecting to, they'll take the opportunity to force the homeowner to correct it. You can always give the customer an estimate for everything you think is not right and have them sign an agreement that they're responsible for whatever the AHJ requires.

With that said, exposed romex isn't a code violation. If it's not subject to physical damage and there's no local ordinance against it, that is.

It's not really a PV question, it would be the same if you were adding any other electrical circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.