Adding solar to a 3 phase building

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt123

Good morning, we are adding a solar array on the roof of a structure. Question is can we use a single phase residential panel? Or does it have to be a 3 phase panel? Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Good morning, we are adding a solar array on the roof of a structure. Question is can we use a single phase residential panel? Or does it have to be a 3 phase panel? Thanks
In most cases, you can use either. Whether you should use one versus the other depends on several details. Some out of necessity, some out of preference. Let's start with the building service voltage: 480, 240, or 208 volts? Next, array size?

I would say in general there would be two connections to avoid: one is to the open leg of an open delta, and the other is to the center tap of a high leg delta. I would also check with the utility. There is a good chance they will have requirements and restrictions on this.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I would say in general there would be two connections to avoid: one is to the open leg of an open delta, and the other is to the center tap of a high leg delta. I would also check with the utility. There is a good chance they will have requirements and restrictions on this.
I (mostly) agree with the avoidance of connecting to the high leg (though I have done it when the transformer driving it was of sufficient capacity), but why would you say not to connect to the center tap?

Carultch

A lot of utilities require you to balance your system among all the phases, if you use single phase inverters. Some do not even allow single phase inverters on a three phase grid in the first place.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
A lot of utilities require you to balance your system among all the phases, if you use single phase inverters. Some do not even allow single phase inverters on a three phase grid in the first place.
Phase balancing is a good point.

Have any of you ever run into a phase balance requirement when the delivery is via 'unbalanced' open delta?

ggunn

Occupation
Phase balancing is a good point.

Have any of you ever run into a phase balance requirement when the delivery is via 'unbalanced' open delta?

I haven't; a high leg service is usually inherently unbalanced. When it isn't possible or well advised to interconnect with the high leg, we connect to the A and C phases and the center tapped neutral. I have never encountered a situation where we could not do one or the other.

ggunn

Occupation
I meant connecting to the center tap and the high leg. Using the center tap as a neutral/reference is fine.
Then I agree. With a high leg service you can either connect all three phases ungrounded if your inverter(s) can do it and your high leg transformer will take 1/3 the power output, or you can connect single phase to A, C, and neutral. And of course, the governing AHJ has the final word.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Then I agree. With a high leg service you can either connect all three phases ungrounded if your inverter(s) can do it and your high leg transformer will take 1/3 the power output, or you can connect single phase to A, C, and neutral. And of course, the governing AHJ has the final word.
I would think that depends on the relative transformer sizes and whether it is an open or closed delta.
In the case of an open delta, the high leg "stinger" pot would end up handling more than 1/3 of the generated power. Which could be very bad.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Both the AB phase current and the BC phase current pass through the stinger pot. In the case of AB, as typically drawn, that phase current also passes through AC.
If the inverter sources equal current to A, B, and C wires, there are four I2R drops, two of which pass through BC.
As for the delivered power, if you have a three phase inverter with balanced power delivery two thirds of the power passes through the stinger pot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Does the same issue not affect a load? Can the size of the high-leg service conductor not be a clue? Do I have to limit the inverter output per leg to half of the high-leg service conductor ampacity?

FWIW, I've only ever connected single phase to a high-leg.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Does the same issue not affect a load? Can the size of the high-leg service conductor not be a clue? Do I have to limit the inverter output per leg to half of the high-leg service conductor ampacity?

FWIW, I've only ever connected single phase to a high-leg.
I see two likely cases for high leg:
1. Where most of the load is three phase and the 120/240 is a secondary need. This is likely to be a closed delta, and I would connect three phase inverter or three comparable single phase inverters IF the off center neutral will not be a problem.
2. Where most of the load I'd 120/240 and the three phase load is minor. This will most likely be an open delta with a small stinger. I would use only the AC phase for one or more single phase inverters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

matt123

This installation is going to have 2 single phase 7kw inverters. Balancing as best as possible has come up as an idea but in the end are we going to need to change to 3 phase inverters?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This installation is going to have 2 single phase 7kw inverters. Balancing as best as possible has come up as an idea but in the end are we going to need to change to 3 phase inverters?
Need to know the service details...

ggunn

Occupation

Probably not. As small as the inverters are, you can most likely connect single phase to the A and C phases no matter what, but I'd advise arranging for a preconstruction meeting with the AHJ just to make sure it's OK with them.

matt123

And of course if this flies it would require the 3 phase panel and meter pan. Thanks for the input guys. The local inspector is also not sure what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.