questions regrading 705.12(a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have incoming service conductors going to utility meter and then to service disconnect. 705.12(A) says I am permitted to be connected to the supply side of the service disconnecting means as permitted in 230.82(6). I have provided a junction box and would be tapping service conductors to the PV AC disconnect between the utility meter and service disconnect but NOT inside the service disconnect line side breaker terminal.

The inspector is saying what is done is not the intent of NEC 2014 Article 705.12(A). The tap needs to be made inside the service disconnect and on the line side of the service breaker terminal. Is the inspector correct about this one?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Arguably the way you're doing it is better. It is easier for somebody looking from the outside to tell what the disconnects connect to. Passing service conductors in and out of the main service disconnect, while I've done it many times, is not as ideal.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have incoming service conductors going to utility meter and then to service disconnect. 705.12(A) says I am permitted to be connected to the supply side of the service disconnecting means as permitted in 230.82(6). I have provided a junction box and would be tapping service conductors to the PV AC disconnect between the utility meter and service disconnect but NOT inside the service disconnect line side breaker terminal.

The inspector is saying what is done is not the intent of NEC 2014 Article 705.12(A). The tap needs to be made inside the service disconnect and on the line side of the service breaker terminal. Is the inspector correct about this one?

I see where the inspector is coming from. It is (IMO) a poor choice of words for the NEC to say "... to the supply side of the service disconnecting means..." rather than "... on the supply side of the service disconnecting means..." but his interpretation is incorrect.

705.12(A) says I am permitted to be connected to the supply side of the service disconnecting means as permitted in 230.82(6). I have provided a junction box and would be tapping service conductors to the PV AC disconnect between the utility meter and service disconnect but NOT inside the service disconnect line side breaker terminal.

The intent of 230.46 is to clearly allow tapping as you want to do.

None of the other 8 items listed in 230.82(6) would be connected to the service breaker, so why is the inspector saying solar has to be?

None of the other 8 items listed in 230.82(6) would be connected to the service breaker, so why is the inspector saying solar has to be?

I'm sorry, my wording was terrible.
I mean more like "many of the items listed in 230.82 would not be directly wired to the supply side terminals of the service breaker, so why would solar have to be?"

Another way of saying it is "705.12(A) says I am permitted to be connected to the supply side of the service disconnecting means as permitted in 230.82(6).", and neither 705.12(A) nor 230.82(6) says anything about "supply side TERMINALS of the service disconnecting means...".

Carultch

I'm sorry, my wording was terrible.
I mean more like "many of the items listed in 230.82 would not be directly wired to the supply side terminals of the service breaker, so why would solar have to be?"

Another way of saying it is "705.12(A) says I am permitted to be connected to the supply side of the service disconnecting means as permitted in 230.82(6).", and neither 705.12(A) nor 230.82(6) says anything about "supply side TERMINALS of the service disconnecting means...".

Nor does it specify anything about having to be in the same ENCLOSURE as the service disconnecting means.

230.46 is also applicable

230.46 is also applicable

The inspector is 100% correct that his/her way is an option, but 0% correct that it is the only option, according to UL Labs.
Perhaps this link will help, check the last page, option 1 is inspector way and option 2 is your tapping method.
https://services.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/12/UL__LineSideBreaker.pdf

The really interesting thing here is they're calling the cables connecting PV disco to main breaker SERVICE ENTRANCE CONDUCTORS...
So, doesn't that mean line side PV is in fact a service, and answer that ol' question about N-G bonding in the PV disco with a big ol' YES?

Carultch said:
Nor does it specify anything about having to be in the same ENCLOSURE as the service disconnecting means.
That's what I'm getting at with 230.46, "service entrance conductors shall be allowed to be spliced or tapped" is giving a clear option for making connections to the supply side conductors of the service disconnect.

from UL link-
Line Side Tap 2 (LST2) – Line Side Tap connection installed
inside an external certified Type 3R rated junction box.
• Utilize certified Insulation Piercing Tap connectors or
equivalent certified splicing connector rated for the
appropriate conductor size and voltage.
• New certified properly rated unspliced main Service
Conductors will be installed between the Utility Meter load
side terminals and the Main Service Breaker through the
junction box.

Status
Not open for further replies.