Tesla Solar Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

69gp

I hear the 1st Tesla Solar Roof install is coming to Massachusetts. Has anyone else seen the glass solar roof from Tesla?

Yes i have seen them and I want to see who installs them in MA. By code they need to be licensed electricians not roofers. I hope the AHJ is all over those jobs.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Yes i have seen them and I want to see who installs them in MA. By code they need to be licensed electricians not roofers. I hope the AHJ is all over those jobs.

Practically speaking, even where it's not required by code, they have to be electricians and roofers. Otherwise their fools to warranty both functions of the roof. This is the main reason, among others, that I don't think this will ever go mainstream.

caribconsult

Occupation
Retired computer consultant
To Tesla or not to Tesla

To Tesla or not to Tesla

As a current Tesla system owner, I can tell you it functions quite well but it is indeed a demanding install, not just the physical aspects of erecting a structure, running heavy duty wiring in properly sealed conduit, etc. The actual type of connection to the grid and to your house, and how you use the Tesla and how much control you want to have will all determine how complicated it can get, and it's not the kind of thing you want anyone in charge of that's less than a fully licensed electrician who has been trained in the Tesla system, or you are in for a world of woe. The tesla has its own vpn over somebody's cell net, at&t i think but not positive, and that's how it reports in and Tesla can adjust it remotely. Hopefully it can make that connection where you are. That's something you might mention to the installers as a deal killer if you are not within range of whoever they connect with. I don't think they can use your wifi for this but that may not be true. There have been lots of changes since we got ours a year ago. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have. I've learned a lot about the Tesla system from issues with mine and I'm glad to share what I know.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
As a current Tesla system owner, I can tell you it functions quite well but it is indeed a demanding install, not just the physical aspects of erecting a structure, running heavy duty wiring in properly sealed conduit, etc. The actual type of connection to the grid and to your house, and how you use the Tesla and how much control you want to have will all determine how complicated it can get, and it's not the kind of thing you want anyone in charge of that's less than a fully licensed electrician who has been trained in the Tesla system, or you are in for a world of woe. The tesla has its own vpn over somebody's cell net, at&t i think but not positive, and that's how it reports in and Tesla can adjust it remotely. Hopefully it can make that connection where you are. That's something you might mention to the installers as a deal killer if you are not within range of whoever they connect with. I don't think they can use your wifi for this but that may not be true. There have been lots of changes since we got ours a year ago. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have. I've learned a lot about the Tesla system from issues with mine and I'm glad to share what I know.

It's good to see you here again. As I recall, your rooftop system is standard PV panels. The OP is interested in the Tesla roof tiles. They don't go ON the roof, they ARE the roof.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Yeah, Powerwall and Solar Roof are totally different animals.

I am frankly surprised at how many PowerWall requests we are getting these days. Many come from folks with no TOU tariff and who have stable grid access. We talk a lot of them out of it but there are those who are convinced that it will save them money when it won't.

gadfly56

Occupation
I am frankly surprised at how many PowerWall requests we are getting these days. Many come from folks with no TOU tariff and who have stable grid access. We talk a lot of them out of it but there are those who are convinced that it will save them money when it won't.

What's that line from Futurama? "Shut up and take my money!"

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What's that line from Futurama? "Shut up and take my money!"

Well, yes. Some of them will not be dissuaded. When we have explained to them how this stuff works and how they would be throwing money (a lot of it!) down a rabbit hole, and they still want a PowerWall (or two, or three), we sell them what they want. They'd just go somewhere else and buy them, so we might as well.

gadfly56

Occupation
Well, yes. Some of them will not be dissuaded. When we have explained to them how this stuff works and how they would be throwing money (a lot of it!) down a rabbit hole, and they still want a PowerWall (or two, or three), we sell them what they want. They'd just go somewhere else and buy them, so we might as well.

So they get whole house back up for a couple of hours for the price of a 7kW generator that would be unlimited (on city gas) and supply everything except maybe A/C? Cool, sign me up. NOT.

MAC702

It probably comes with a Tesla bumper sticker that can't be bought in stores.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

In my view even with TOU rates it is questionable. Wasn't there a study of these economics done by one of your universities a while back? I recall seeing it but now I've forgotten who and where.

caribconsult

Occupation
Retired computer consultant
It's good to see you here again. As I recall, your rooftop system is standard PV panels. The OP is interested in the Tesla roof tiles. They don't go ON the roof, they ARE the roof.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Always appreciated. This forum has been so useful to me in addressing various electrical issues we have here with our Tesla system, our 3rd world electric company, and so forth. You are right, our Tesla system uses standard PV panels and Enphase microinverters on each panel.

I did put up an apology to the OP regarding my off-topic reply. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "Tesla Roof" but live and learn, I say.

Nos vemos hasta la próxima, as they say down here,

Jeff

c_picard

Don't worry - all of these jobs will be in full ratio compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.