Plug & Play Solar kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So far I have seen only one "plug-in" solar solution that was actually NEC compliant. It used a non-standard socket on a dedicated circuit which had to be installed for the purpose by an electrician (who was therefore responsible for permit, inspection, 120% rule compliance, etc.)
Once the receptacle was in place, the homeowner could then plug in the packaged system which he dropped in place (considered a UL-approved product, so arguably no permit required for that part of the installation) to that receptacle. The non-standard plug connector was part of the panel and inverter package.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
from the site comments>>>>>

The inverters and panels for all of our grid-tie kits are UL-1741 approved,

&&&&

The inverter is manufactured in China, and the manufacturer name is Beijing Kinglong New Energy, KLNE series, and model name Sunteams.
Approval for the method of connection is left to the utility companies. In many states, the AC male plug connection has been approved. In a couple states, it has not been approved, and the kit must be connected directly to the electrical box, adding one more step to the connection process.

~RJ~

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I guess there are only a 'couple states' that don't follow some version of the NEC.

This is a scam, and a potentially dangerous one if a customer pushed the limits.

jaggedben

Occupation
Once the receptacle was in place, the homeowner could then plug in the packaged system which he dropped in place (considered a UL-approved product, so arguably no permit required for that part of the installation) to that receptacle. The non-standard plug connector was part of the panel and inverter package.

It is hardly the case that UL approved equipment doesn't require a permit to install.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It is hardly the case that UL approved equipment doesn't require a permit to install.

So, my cord-and-plug connected window AC unit needs a permit?!?

The panel system GoldDigger describes is just a difference in scale, not in kind.

jaggedben

Occupation
So, my cord-and-plug connected window AC unit needs a permit?!?

It might, legally. Ask your local building inspector. But only ask 'hypothetically' or 'for a friend.'

The reason it's a scam is that 1) they are exaggerating the acceptance of AHJs and utiliities to the point of being misleading, and 2) they are leaving out that, even if equipment is fine with the authorities, the utilities will still want a passed building permit to give you credits and 3) lacking credits, it's far, far less likely the thing will pay itself back.

Also if you look at the website it appears they are not really that serious about the plugged solar thing and are really just trying to resell standard equipment that doesn't give a DYIer any real advantage.

mwm1752

It does state all components are UL approved -- that doesn't mean the are approved as a package deal --- you can build a luminaire out of UL approved equipment doesn't mean it can be legally installed -- Still has to abide with NEC 690 IMO as a min

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have been in many discussions about these things on this and other forums. They are not compliant with the NEC and UL, they are not approved by any AHJ that I know of, and they are potentially dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.