My solar system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
    I pulled out the wire then sleeved it in 50 foot sections (Yet another code violation). Its a long walk but gets 50 feet shorter every time.
    Wow.

Comment

UPDATE

So we had some rain the other day and it was the first time I was around so I go down to see how my system is doing. Water EVERYWHERE! My first though is ok this idea was a total failure, but on closer examination, I dont think it is too bad. Turns out its that pesky surface tension (I think actually the correct words are adhesion and cohesion). Water drips out of the flashing and travels on the underside of it until it JUST clears the gutter by like 3/4 of an inch and then drips down. I didnt have my phone to get an action shot, so see the picture with the gutter removed and the two black sharpie marks. Those are about how far the water would travel out before dripping. It seems like this was happening to about half of them. I played around to figure out what was required to break the surface tension and it doesnt take much. Even a little piece of down turned metal sitting in the flashing kills it. Just to be safe though, I screwed and caulked on a double ridged piece and put a bead of caulk after that as a redundancy (see picture). I am now awaiting for rain to look for leaks. Another option is just to make the gutters double width (with a piece of edge guard over the seam) which would definitely catch everything, even without the surface tension breakers, but I wanted to put the breakers on anyway so Ill see how that goes.

Its weird stuff: At first I tried messing around in the sink with a piece of flashing to see what I needed to do, but I COULD NOT get it to happen even with the same piece of flashing. Must be chemistry difference between the tap water and the rain water.
      Attached Files
      Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Ok we had some good rain for two days. Water is behaving and I am all dry after my little additions!

Been singing this all day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqxb4fvv7Fk
        Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Working...
        X