wow... here is the chance of a lifetime.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
NO doubt I've inspected some jobs installed by their graduates...:)

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Notice the titles of the courses end in "- Theory." No hands-on, just a bunch of boring lectures by the no-doubt qualified instructor.

It always has surprised me how in the solar industry, so much emphasis is put on these solar courses and little on being an electrician. Sure, there are some unique things about solar that a course is good for, but to think you can take a week or two course, and then basically be "certified" is laughable. For example the NABCEP certification, IIRC you need two week long courses, into PV and Advanced PV, and experience with three systems and passing a test and then you are a "cream of the crop" PV installer.....

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
It always has surprised me how in the solar industry, so much emphasis is put on these solar courses and little on being an electrician. Sure, there are some unique things about solar that a course is good for, but to think you can take a week or two course, and then basically be "certified" is laughable. For example the NABCEP certification, IIRC you need two week long courses, into PV and Advanced PV, and experience with three systems and passing a test and then you are a "cream of the crop" PV installer.....

But passing the test is the rub; the training and experience only qualify you to sit for the exam. It wasn't an easy exam for me, and I'm an electrical engineer. You don't pass that test without understanding electricity to at least some extent and being able to effectively use a codebook.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Which is the main b*tch of our local poco's who are having solar fields tied into their grid w/out licensed installers OR inspections here

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
May be a legitimate course, definitely not a course that will result in being licensed when completed.

Could even have some possibility for CEU credits in some areas.

Just because one is good at electrical doesn't mean they are good at other aspects of design and install of PV equipment, and vice versa. There are people out there that are good in both areas though.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Just because one is good at electrical doesn't mean they are good at other aspects of design
and install of PV equipment, and vice versa. There are people out there that are good in both areas though.

yup. i haven't done any solar installs at all. zip.
i'm a pretty fair electrician however, and now
that i'm gas certified..... well, the sky is the limit.

:huh:

five.five-six

May be a legitimate course, definitely not a course that will result in being licensed when completed.

Could even have some possibility for CEU credits in some areas.

Just because one is good at electrical doesn't mean they are good at other aspects of design and install of PV equipment, and vice versa. There are people out there that are good in both areas though.

In CA, the C10 licenses you to do PV

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Yes, if it's NABCEP certification you're speaking of. Taking courses can make you better prepared to take the exam, but NABCEP administers the test.

pv_n00b

There was a time 10 or 15 years ago when there were maybe 5 or 6 of these training companies on the west coast giving $3,000 PV installer classes, Boots on the Roof comes to mind as one. Most of them have gone out of business because they ran out of students. SEI is still hanging in there though. And there are a couple of community colleges around that still give PV classes for much less money.

kwired

Electron manager
There was a time 10 or 15 years ago when there were maybe 5 or 6 of these training companies on the west coast giving $3,000 PV installer classes, Boots on the Roof comes to mind as one. Most of them have gone out of business because they ran out of students. SEI is still hanging in there though. And there are a couple of community colleges around that still give PV classes for much less money.
Probably where I would recommend going, especially if you are starting with the very basics of this or any other field of study for that matter. Don't want their degree, you don't necessarily need to take the full courses they want to get the degree and many will be fine with that. Big universities want to sell you their degree or have nothing to do with you unless you are donating something. Graduate students maybe somewhat the exception and can do more of what they want with course selections.

five.five-six

The course is pretty decent thus far. It is a 101 type course so I guess I can’t be too upset about 2 hrs spent on ohms law and wattage calculations. There are 2 instructors with about a decade of PV experience and they let me pick their brains about real world applications while the rest of the class works on how many KWH a 60 watt lightbulb running 6 hrs a day uses in a month.

I’m already much better prepared to get my first few PV installs started so, yes, the class was well worth the time and money investment. And I get 36 hours credit towards the prerequisite if I decide to sit for a NABCEP cert. IDK if that’s worth it but if I do decide to, I’m that much closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.