No announcement yet.

EMT on roof - water tight and drain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drill weep holes, cut a notch in the lower edge of the gasket, seal the openings to prevent air exchange and insect intrusions.
    Tom
    TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by Cow View Post
      We drill 1/8-1/4" drain holes where needed to accomplish this, whether it's a device box, conduit body, etc.

I'm quoting a project right now with EMT on a roof, I will plan on drilling the conduit bodies if we get the project.
      Same here. Never used any drain fittings. Seen a few that failed and didn't drain though.

Even weep holes get plugged sometimes, but didn't really waste any $$ on something that didn't work in those cases.
      I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

I've used these to create vents / drains in conduit systems several times:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...encers/spl-12n

I've installed them in the side-outlet of a plumbing tee (sized to the conduit), facing down. The conductors were pulled straight through the tee. Tee was placed at the lowest point in the conduit run, so water would collect there.

The only time I was questioned by an inspector, I explained what I was using it for, and he shrugged his shoulders and just said, "OK. Makes sense."

SceneryDriver

Comment

Originally posted by SceneryDriver View Post
          I've used these to create vents / drains in conduit systems several times:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...encers/spl-12n

I've installed them in the side-outlet of a plumbing tee (sized to the conduit), facing down. The conductors were pulled straight through the tee. Tee was placed at the lowest point in the conduit run, so water would collect there.

The only time I was questioned by an inspector, I explained what I was using it for, and he shrugged his shoulders and just said, "OK. Makes sense."

SceneryDriver
          Where do you get inspectors that are allowed to think like that? The drain item is one thing, but I haven't run into any that would allow a plumbing tee no matter how much sense it might make - "it is not listed for that use".
          I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
          X