SolarEdge frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
We have a high visibility solar installation on Austin's downtown network which has been installed but we cannot turn it on until we can get the SolarEdge electricity meter to play nice with the other safeguards we have to have in place. So far it has been an intractable problem for us. We have been trying to get technical support from SolarEdge for more than two weeks to no avail. We call them, get put on hold for an hour or more, then they hang up. We email everyone we can find email addresses for, and they do not respond.

We have bought a lot of their gear over the past few years; one would think that that would make a difference to them, but apparently it doesn't. Do any of you guys have a secret backdoor phone number or email address that will actually get through to somebody at SolarEdge who can help us?

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I went there and to Mark's blog as well. All I can say is, lots of luck, ggunn, you're going to need it.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I went there and to Mark's blog as well. All I can say is, lots of luck, ggunn, you're going to need it.

solaredge is an israeli company. they may be in disarray at the moment.
it sounds like they have a hard won reputation for crappy customer support, but this won't help.

"The Knesset voted 74-45, on a bill sponsored by Netanyahu's Likud party, to dissolve itself and call for new elections.
Had Netanyahu not prompted the call for new elections, Israel's ceremonial president could have chosen someone else to try to form a government.
The call for new elections is a surprising turn of events for Netanyahu who is widely considered Israel's most powerful politician."

-NPR

pv_n00b

ggunn, are you trying to use the SolarEdge Smart Energy Management system to create a no-export system, maybe backed up with a reverse power relay? I'd like to meet the contractor that got that to work reliably.

I PMed you a SolarEdge contact that might help. Good luck.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
ggunn, are you trying to use the SolarEdge Smart Energy Management system to create a no-export system, maybe backed up with a reverse power relay? I'd like to meet the contractor that got that to work reliably.

I PMed you a SolarEdge contact that might help. Good luck.

No export, yes, but I don't know what a reverse power relay is. Thanks for the contact.

pv_n00b

A reverse power relay is a protection system that uses a protection relay to monitor the power flow at the POCC. If the power flow reverses and starts to send power to the utility it trips the PV system offline. Utilities use a lot of protection relays so they are more comfortable with them than inverter systems that would prevent export and will sometimes require them on non-export systems to be the protection of last resort. Relay protection can be expensive, particularly if it needs battery backup or dual redundant relays. More so if it needs to send a status to the utility. The systems have become less expensive but will still sink a project less than 1MW.

Zee

I use the chat window on the Solaredge Support page, but I only have residential questions. might work for you.
NO msgs, immediate feedback, more or less

Status
Not open for further replies.