Conduit bodies in inverter output circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
We work with one AHJ that will not allow a conduit body in any inverter output circuit between the PV AC disconnect and the point of interconnection, and another that will allow them if the inverter is connected through a backfed breaker but not if it is line side connected. We aren't going to fight either one of them over it, but we want to get it right in other jurisdictions where they do not specify. We haven't been able to locate language in the NEC that supports either position, though. What do you guys think?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
We work with one AHJ that will not allow a conduit body in any inverter output circuit between the PV AC disconnect and the point of interconnection, and another that will allow them if the inverter is connected through a backfed breaker but not if it is line side connected. We aren't going to fight either one of them over it, but we want to get it right in other jurisdictions where they do not specify. We haven't been able to locate language in the NEC that supports either position, though. What do you guys think?

I know of no NEC issue with an LB or similar. I have seen a number of POCOs that prohibit conduit bodies in service raceways.

beanland

PCOC

PCOC

I know of no NEC issue with an LB or similar. I have seen a number of POCOs that prohibit conduit bodies in service raceways.

I agree, this is a POCO issue. Most POCO do not allow unsealed or accessible wireways on the utility-side of the service disconnect. If the PV AC is fed by a panel breaker, then the POCO has no say. If the PV AC is fed by a supply-side tap, then the supply side comes under their jurisdiction.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Sounds like another case of overreach. I think if it's not line side of their meter they have no good reason for it. Certainly it's not in the NEC.

Carultch

Indeed. But it's equally dangerous downstream of the meter, where it's allowable.

Not necessarily.

On feeders and branch circuits, and anything else behind the main service disconnect, you have control over shutting off the circuit, and would likely do so as standard procedure. On service conductors, you'd have to get the utility involved in providing you a shutdown, something that a person trying to rig their service would likely not do.

Last edited:

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Indeed. But it's equally dangerous downstream of the meter, where it's allowable.

PoCo doesn't care if an idiot blows himself up or he burns down his house doing something stupid; they care about getting paid. Downstream of the meter, they get paid either way.

Scenerydriver

Status
Not open for further replies.