SDS Grounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheElectrician View Post
    I have attached the pdf let me know if this gives a better idea.
    Why are you even running a neutral to the utility side of the transformer?

Comment

Originally posted by jaggedben View Post
      It's correct that 250.30(A)(1) is only about the secondary side. But here's a loaded question:

Is 89L a service disconnect? If so then the N-G bond there is correct.
      Yes, but it depends on what OP meant by "bonded on the primary". I kinda took this to mean there was a N (primary)-G bond in the transformer, in addition to the bond at the service equipment. Maybe he was just talking about the Bond at the service...?
      Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
        Yes, but it depends on what OP meant by "bonded on the primary". I kinda took this to mean there was a N (primary)-G bond in the transformer, in addition to the bond at the service equipment. Maybe he was just talking about the Bond at the service...?
        In his OP he said "I have bonded N-G on the first disconnecting means on both the primary and the secondary of the T/F to earth". I was making the point that while one doesn't bond the 'first disconnect' on the primary side, it just so happens that this 'first disconnect' likely needs it for other reasons.

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for the useful comments, and I would like to clarify the confusion here about the bonding on the primary - what I meant here is that have a bond in the first disconnect on the primary side of the transformer (which is 89L in this case) and not inside the primary of the transformer.

The updates I made to the drawing is, I bonded the N-G in the 89L, removed the bond in the 52IT and I have put a ground rod (Earth) in the 89L and the 52IT.

Comment

Originally posted by jaggedben View Post
            It's correct that 250.30(A)(1) is only about the secondary side. But here's a loaded question:

Is 89L a service disconnect? If so then the N-G bond there is correct.

@TheElectrician
            We are not going to decide that question here, although you've got it drawn like it is a service disconnect. But you and the AHJ must be on the same page. Let us know if you need references to past threads on the forum.
            Yes, it is a service disconnect here.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
              The derived neutral is in the secondary of your transformer and there is no electrical connection to the primary unless you make one, and generally this is not done.
              I understand, and there is no electrical connection to the primary here

Comment

Working...
              X