Inverters and 110.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tortuga View Post

In my opinion for 110.26(A) to legally apply with the 2017 NEC as it stands, it would have to be likely that most inverters would need to be examined while energized, like you would a service disconnect or a battery bank.

If it's a PV array without optimizers then it's very similar to a battery bank. If you have a separate rapid shutdown switch or DC disconnect then not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by jaggedben View Post
      If it's a PV array without optimizers then it's very similar to a battery bank. If you have a separate rapid shutdown switch or DC disconnect then not so much.
      Exactly then 110.26(A) would apply.
      In this situation we have a DC disconnect before the inverter, it would be another discussion if the rapid shutdown switch would qualify as a DC disconnect.

PV Array -> DC fused disconnect / AFCI -> Inverter (no overcurrent devices here) -> AC circuit breaker.
      Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga View Post

The AHJ has seen quite allot of solar, however there is a law in Oregon that inspectors have to cite a particular section of code if they are going to fail an inspection, and the state makes code interpretations on a state wide basis. I would never try to pull one over on him, that would ruin our relationship. He knows that if I am the designer on a job I am going to push hard for what our client wants, and our client is a small solar company.

All this being said, I really appreciate both of your input as it gives me a sense of standard practices around the country, and Ill press for a common sense location as it was just a plan that got approved.
        I know plenty of AHJs who would fail this installation based on 110.26. Good thing you got lucky and the AHJ for this project decided to accept it, it shows that it never hurts to ask. Don't assume that now you are free and clear to do this anywhere else though.

Comment

Working...
        X