Directional Power & Current Relays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hv&Lv View Post

I’m not sure a 651R is right for a 155kW system, although if the breaker in the invertor can be wired with IO, there might be an application there.
    if it’s a 200kW invertor with the associated electronics for commercial use, it may already have the capability to do this. It just needs to be turned on.

for 25kV installations...
    651R, Tavrida with VT and CT
    ~$21,000, plus installation costs.
    not including the switches for isolation or metering expenses.
    About half of that is the breaker. 651R runs about $2500. The rest is mostly structural and the PTs which usually run close to $1000 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by paulengr View Post

About half of that is the breaker. 651R runs about $2500. The rest is mostly structural and the PTs which usually run close to $1000 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Tavrida is the bulk of expense.
      Actually I think the SEL relays are cheap for the amount of functionality within them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hv&Lv View Post

Tavrida is the bulk of expense.
        Actually I think the SEL relays are cheap for the amount of functionality within them.
        Wow MV stuff is expensive.....
        Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post

Wow MV stuff is expensive.....
          Absolutely.
          From a quote...
          tavrida breaker with matching SEL 651R, $11,200
          PTs for metering. $1800 each (need three)
          CTs for metering.$1200 each (need three)
          rack to hold them, $300
          isolation switch, (HOG switch) $2800 each
          then the installation costs, and other associated expenses such as conduits, flex, wiring, poles and wiring to hold everything up, etc.
          But when you figure a 2MW site can generate about $6-800 every day, it doesn’t take long to recoup these costs.
          Last edited by Hv&Lv; 10-14-19, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SunFish View Post
            We are doing a large project and unfortunately the building that we are installing the PV system on is fed by a small spot network in a large metro area. The utility is requiring that our system never export more than 155 kW and in order to guarantee this they are requiring us to install a 67 directional current element relay and a 32 directional power element relay that will disconnect the PV system if power export ever exceeds 155 kW.

I have never run into this before and don't know anything about these relays, how they work and how they are installed. Has anyone run into this before? Does anyone know where I can learn more about how these relays work and where & how to install them? I'm at a bit of a loss right now on where to find information on this subject. Any help pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated!
            Sounds like you need a stand alone breaker in an enclosure (Nema 1 or 3?) with relays, PT's, CT's installed in the same cabinet? What is system voltage?

Comment

Programming or limiting the inverter output would meet their requirements, but convincing them of that is another thing. Like a couple of guys here have already mentioned, almost any SEL relay you purchase will have the feature. You'll just need bus voltage.

If you're looking for a breaker/recloser as well, the G&W Viper reclosers can be specified with a 351 or 651. Their consultant group can also do the setting for you. They can provide a locked down setting you won't be able to tinker with. In either case, make sure the full setting is provided to the utility to review.

If you decide to do the setting yourselves, you'll enable the directional elements by setting E32 to Y, and set your overcurrent element 50P1P. After that, the settings change slightly based on the relay you're using.

For a 351, you set the direction of the element DIR1 to F for forward, and your trip equation will have to use the torque controlled output 67P1T.

For a 651, you'll map the directional control (F32P) to the overcurrent torque control (50P1TC) and map the torque controlled output to the trip logic 50P1T.
              Last edited by JabBauer; 10-15-19, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zog View Post

Sounds like you need a stand alone breaker in an enclosure (Nema 1 or 3?) with relays, PT's, CT's installed in the same cabinet? What is system voltage?
                480/277 VAC

Comment

Working...
                X