PV utility non fuse disco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post

That appears to be the case based on what the manufacturers and product standards say, although it is quite common. To me, it seems like based on the wording in 230.82(3) and how they apparently go out of their way to refer to the relatively low SCCR of NF switches, they are referring to the non fused type.

I think it is ok. I Agree there is no specific mention that the meter disco must be NF to be a meter disco and if you add fuses it must be considered the service disco (although as mentioned above, i think it is sorta assumed it is NF. Might want to ask your AHJ).
    Wording in 230.82(3) dont follow you on that?

Twist is I am contractor for AHJ review and if AHJ knew then I would post it. They are as confused about this and ofcourse designers ask challanging question such as where is it in NEC fuse meter disco is considered service disco and more so it says meter disco is not service disco no mention of fuse or non fuse. AHJ cannot make up and say fuse meter disco is service disco if not in local code or not in the NEC.

Just wanted everyones opinion or experience regarding only way then to satisfy 230.82 is to place fuse in meter disco. 230.82 says meter disco is not service disco does not mention fuse or non fuse so even if fuse it is still meter disco not service disconnect.

Also called the local utility company in charge PEPCO who says they dont have any rule as to meter disco should be fuse or non fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by hhsting View Post

Wording in 230.82(3) dont follow you on that?

Twist is I am contractor for AHJ review and if AHJ knew then I would post it. They are as confused about this and ofcourse designers ask challanging question such as where is it in NEC fuse meter disco is considered service disco and more so it says meter disco is not service disco no mention of fuse or non fuse. AHJ cannot make up and say fuse meter disco is service disco if not in local code or not in the NEC.

Just wanted everyones opinion or experience regarding only way then to satisfy 230.82 is to place fuse in meter disco. 230.82 says meter disco is not service disco does not mention fuse or non fuse so even if fuse it is still meter disco not service disconnect.

Also called the local utility company in charge PEPCO who says they dont have any rule as to meter disco should be fuse or non fuse.
      There is no chief electrical inspector? Not sure how exactly it works where you are but someone has to be the decider. Maybe in your case you are the decider, if so make the call.

I am more on the side that there is nothing saying it cant be fused to me a meter disconnect, however OTOH, NF does have quite a low SCCR compared to other equipment and they seem to be acknowledging this in the wording of 230.82 by specifically mentioning that ASSC must be above SCCR of disconnect.
      Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

There is no chief electrical inspector? Not sure how exactly it works where you are but someone has to be the decider. Maybe in your case you are the decider, if so make the call.

I am more on the side that there is nothing saying it cant be fused to me a meter disconnect, however OTOH, NF does have quite a low SCCR compared to other equipment and they seem to be acknowledging this in the wording of 230.82 by specifically mentioning that ASSC must be above SCCR of disconnect.
        Electrofelon my buddy I wish it would say what you wrote but NEC 2014 Article 230.82(3) says SCCR must be equal to or greater than ASSC.

Can you increase SCCR by placing fuse in meter disco or upstream of meter disco?

Comment

Electrofelon my buddy I wish it would say what you wrote but NEC 2014 Article 230.82(3) says SCCR must be equal to or greater than ASSC.

Can you increase SCCR by placing fuse in meter disco or upstream of meter disco?
          Fused switches typically have a high AIC. NF switches series rate with many upstream fuses.

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Fused switches typically have a high AIC. NF switches series rate with many upstream fuses.
            Well the problem with meter disco is that there are no upstream fuses or overcurrent protection. So if a fuse is placed in meter disconnect that would change the AIC rating not the SCCR?

Comment

Well the problem with meter disco is that there are no upstream fuses or overcurrent protection. So if a fuse is placed in meter disconnect that would change the AIC rating not the SCCR?
              Switches have SCCR, OCPD's have AIC. An appropriate fuse ahead of a NF switch will raise the SCCR of the switch. See the manufacturer's charts.

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Working...
              X