Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PV metering Q's

Do any of you have to deal with something like this ?>

If so, is there a meter manufacturer that provides some sort of all inclusive 3-pack?

~RJ~

What a bunch of nonsense. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

I don't have any specific tips. There are multi-meter banks available but I'm not sure it'll make sense for you. Note that your meters may end up in different locations and that the one on the left is the service meter, so might be there already.

Comment

I don’t know why they are doing it that way.
      a net meter, then the others to deduct from net at avoided wholesale cost?

at any rate, I doubt you will see an all in one enclosure because every utility is different on their interconnects(or so it seems).

we only require two. One that is a purchase at retail, the other we pay at wholesale. No net metering allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post
        Do any of you have to deal with something like this ?>

Yes, in more than one jurisdiction. In Austin, where PV production (all of it no matter where it goes) is paid for by the utility and consumption (no matter where it comes from) is paid for by the customer, there is no other way to meter it.

Comment

Is this setup assuming that the backup loads have an alternative supply from the main panel when not being supplied from the battery? Some kind of transfer switch? Otherwise to get to the backup panel the power would have to go through both meters from the main panel.

Comment

Originally posted by pv_n00b View Post
            Is this setup assuming that the backup loads have an alternative supply from the main panel when not being supplied from the battery? Some kind of transfer switch? Otherwise to get to the backup panel the power would have to go through both meters from the main panel.
            Your question is right on. If this setup is trying to measure PV production and consumption a la ggunn's description of Austin, it seems unlikely to do so accurately. It picks winners among the available technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by jaggedben View Post
              What a bunch of nonsense. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.
              I exist in a rather insane state Jag

They just gotta do their own thing....

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by pv_n00b View Post
                Yes, it's in the inverter

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by ggunn View Post

Yes, in more than one jurisdiction. In Austin, where PV production (all of it no matter where it goes) is paid for by the utility and consumption (no matter where it comes from) is paid for by the customer, there is no other way to meter it.
                  So how do you do it where you are ggunn?

~S~

Comment

Here is a requirement from APS in Arizona that has even more meters and safety switches.

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post

So how do you do it where you are ggunn?

~S~
                      Pretty much as in the drawing. Fortunately, the Austin Energy grid is very reliable and they don't have a TOU (time of use) tariff, so not many people in Austin buy battery backup/assisted PV systems. When our customers ask about buying one we try to talk them out of it because it nearly always is a waste of their money.

Comment

I guess i understand different meters for different rates, but beyond that i'm confused.... ~RJ~

Comment

It's a bit convoluted, but Austin Energy pays for all energy produced by a PV system whether is is used immediately by the customer, sent back to the grid, or pushed into batteries. AE also charges the customer for all energy consumed by the customer, no matter where it comes from. The payback and consumption charges per kWh are different. There's no way to keep track of it all unless there are three meters.

The rate that AE pays for PV produced energy is the same for every customer, but the rate a customer pays for energy (again, no matter where it comes from) is tiered.

Comment

Originally posted by ggunn View Post
                            It's a bit convoluted, but Austin Energy pays for all energy produced by a PV system whether is is used immediately by the customer, sent back to the grid, or pushed into batteries. AE also charges the customer for all energy consumed by the customer, no matter where it comes from. The payback and consumption charges per kWh are different. There's no way to keep track of it all unless there are three meters.

The rate that AE pays for PV produced energy is the same for every customer, but the rate a customer pays for energy (again, no matter where it comes from) is tiered.
                            How much do they pay for pv energy?
                            Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post

How much do they pay for pv energy?
                              9.7 cents per kWh. It's about the same as the lowest tier tariff.

Comment

Working...
                              X