Is a disconnect on exterior of building needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

This question is in regards to AC module installations where I am considering the main disconnect at the Utility meter to be the Rapid Shutdown Initiator switch. In that case, do I need another "service disconnect" outside the building within reasonable proximity to the array? I think not but I want to make sure I am not missing something. For years we have installed production meters with knife switch discos below them, always on the exterior of building. Now that we have no production incentive we have begun leaving them out but still mounting the "combiner panel" outdoors to serve as rapid shutdown.

I see an install where we can now mount this combiner panel indoors and have nothing on the exterior of building. Anyone see a problem with this in the code?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If the service disconnect is outside then that can be your rapid shutdown initiation device. The 2017 code is explicit about this. The 2014 code doesn't require rapid shutdown initiation to be outside at all.

The utility might have requirements that are additional to the NEC.

JoeNorm

Thanks. And there would not be an additional disconnect needed required by NEC? Say for servicing equipment?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Thanks. And there would not be an additional disconnect needed required by NEC? Say for servicing equipment?

Not necessarily. It depends on the location of the equipment, the type of inverter(s), the code cycle, and the whim of the AHJ.

pv_n00b

There needs to be a readily accessible disconnect. If your AHJ considers the inside location to the readily accessible then you are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.