This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

industry direction

With another new year around the corner I was curious to ask, Where do you see our industry heading? Such as "What major changes do you think we'll see"?

Originally posted by ItsHot
    With another new year around the corner I was curious to ask, Where do you see our industry heading? Such as "What major changes do you think we'll see"?
    I think we're going to see more people looking into solar power for the home and hopefully the prices will come down as this technology improves.
    I also hope that since the NEC is requiring safer practices in the home such as the tamper resistant receptacles,now mandatory in residential properties,that the cost of such items will decrease some too.Of course there is the supply & demand theory that will have a dramatic effect in this taking place in regards to the manufacturers' of said products.
    Looking at the economy, it doesn't look as though there will be another huge new construction boom this year or a hike in the cost of living wages.
    But that's just my view on matters and perhaps I'll be wrong once again.
    Carl

Comment

This is a new NEC code cycle year for a lot of jurisdictions...
      Also for local jurisdictions adopting their own codes with reference to the NEC.

Also, I think that due to the economy we will see many contractors tightening their belts.
      Instructor, Industry Advocate

Comment

I think things will be fine until November and then it is a matter of who is in charge in Washington.
        Those who can do, those who can't teach

Comment

The Next Governing Official

Originally posted by Rewire
          I think things will be fine until November and then it is a matter of who is in charge in Washington.
          It's not looking too good right now for next year either than.
          Carl :confused:

Comment

"for the people, by the people"

Originally posted by Rewire
            I would hope the people (us) would remember that our government originally was "for the people, by the people"! I think they have forgotten that they work for us!

Comment

I would hope the people (us) would remember that our government originally was "for the people, by the people"! I think they have forgotten that they work for us!
              Keyword being was , do you honestly believe we still have a final say to whom is put into the position by the government ?
              Like they've always said " It's not what you know,so much as Who you know, and money speaks just as loud and clear in Washington as it does anywhere".
              Carl

Comment

That was the original concept and I think it lasted for about 2 years 1789 to 1791 and then Washington sent troops to put down the "whiskey boys" and the "Whiskey Rebellion". After that everyone knew who was in charge and who works for whom. :grin: :grin:
                The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Comment

Its amazing how many world leaders from other countries hold engineering and technical degrees. They are technically aware and literate. Here in the US we have a bunch of lawyers, and politicians who are experts at deception, and care nothing about anything except themselves.
                  Make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeames
                    Its amazing how many world leaders from other countries hold engineering and technical degrees. They are technically aware and literate. Here in the US we have a bunch of lawyers, and politicians who are experts at deception, and care nothing about anything except themselves.
                    Oh how true .... Amen on that brother .
                    Carl :grin:

Comment

Economically speaking, this may be a tough year for a lot of people if things keep going the way they are.

As an industry, I think the biggest problem is that we have many electricians who just do what they do because they've been taught a certain way, and have no idea why. Many electricians are ignorant of the most basic principles.

Comment

Not only are they ignorant of the basic priniples, but I've seen helpers and even some apprentices make serious errors in the make up of panels and even simple devices.

I think the next few months will tell the tale for the industry. I think some areas will see a small increase in commercial service work while others will not see anything but small residential work. I also see "handymen" doing work that should be ours but they will get it because of the price difference.
                        Ken
                        I may be confused, but so is everyone else :grin:

Comment

Warning keep on topic, and away from politcs.

Comment

The industry direction seems to be leaning towards foreign logic (zones for classificd spaces) and more cable vs pipe. Bothers that me that we are excepting following, rather than leading. If Sam adams knew what was going on today, he'd roll over in his grave, or better yet make us aware of his famous speech -

" If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands that which feed you. May your chain be set lightly upon you and posterity forget ye were our countrymen."

For whole speech go here...
                            Don't let fear be your guide!

Comment

Originally posted by dereckbc
                              Warning keep on topic, and away from politcs.
                              To bad you need to speak of politics when dealing with an economy.

With the credit crunch I see some guys going out of business. Residential will get hit hard.

As the dollar weakens industrial will pick up some.

Watch for the Nuclear industry to take off.

Comment

Working...
                              X