industry direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

dereckbc said:
Good post Marc. What I would like to add is stay on top of things, ...:
I agree. I read eariler, with much displeasure, how some guys no longer read our trade magazines because of the perceived manufacturer "pollution" of the trade literature. Well, that's exactly why you should read the trade mags. Like it or not, the manufacturer's largely drive our industry. Know what they're up to, and you'll be on the cutting edge too.

GUNNING

I see handymen and general contractors doing all residential electric work. I see a large slowdown in demand for larger electrical usage. There will be more retrofitting of devices to low wattage devices and more demands for complicated devices put in panels which the government wont enforce because the contractors associations will shoot em down because of cost. There wont be as much Government work because the dollar will shrink and budgets will too. Currently there is a 10% retainage on government contracts for ... administration? Even they don't want to pay a real price for real work. Nuclear plants? It takes 10 years to get them permitted. What will the future of our industry be? A giant Government Boondoggle into oblivion.

Yes, I have my aluminum hat on, its made out of beer cans. I'm eco friendly

dereckbc

Staff member
mdshunk said:
I agree. I read eariler, with much displeasure, how some guys no longer read our trade magazines because of the perceived manufacturer "pollution" of the trade literature. Well, that's exactly why you should read the trade mags. Like it or not, the manufacturer's largely drive our industry. Know what they're up to, and you'll be on the cutting edge too.

I mildly disagree with that position because I believe the market is driven by demand. Ok that's my political statement :rolleyes: The manufactures are trying to find their market by what they believe there is demand for. Therefore they are doing what they have to do; sell it to you.

However keeping up with industry trends via Trade Publications, whether right or wrong, keeps one ahead of the curve, so in that since I do agree with you.

Last edited:

mdshunk

I guess I agree with that, but I must add that the manufacturer's have their finger on the pulse of client demand more than I ever could or will. Knowing that, they're better equipped to tell me what the demand is, if that makes any sense.

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
but I must add that the manufacturer's have their finger on the pulse of client demand more than I ever could or will.

You really think so?

Sure they have departments and highly paid people to study the market etc but you are out there with the customers, your in their buildings, you often can see ways they could save money, do things better.

All I am saying is don't sell yourself short. :)

BTW. I think your list is right on the money. :)

mdshunk said:
I guess I agree with that, but I must add that the manufacturer's have their finger on the pulse of client demand more than I ever could or will. Knowing that, they're better equipped to tell me what the demand is, if that makes any sense.

or outright create a "demand" which they can sell the gear to satisfy ;)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Marc,
While I think reading those sources is a good idea, you just have to remember not to believe everything you read. There has been so much misinformation published, that you really need to look at other sources before you believe anything. This is especially true when reading articles that were authored by a manufacturer's rep as many of are.
Don

mdshunk

don_resqcapt19 said:
While I think reading those sources is a good idea, you just have to remember not to believe everything you read.
Of course I don't believe everything I read, but the eventualities are not even in doubt. What we read today will come to pass for the most part, by hook or by crook. It has nothing to do with whether I like it or even believe it. There is little a contractor can do on his own to create consumer demand or sway the industry, and I really don't care to try. It is generally more profitable to know what the folks who have this capacity (ie, manufacturers) are up to.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Marc,
Of course I don't believe everything I read, but the eventualities are not even in doubt. What we read today will come to pass for the most part, by hook or by crook.
I am not talking so much about the new products, more about the technical and code information it often incorrect in trade magazine articles and even in publications of the NFPA and IAEI.
Don

bobbyho

Speaking of Photovoltaic systems, does anyone know where to get training on these? I think it would be great to learn this since it is being mentioned more and more nowadays.

mdshunk

bobbyho said:
Speaking of Photovoltaic systems, does anyone know where to get training on these? I think it would be great to learn this since it is being mentioned more and more nowadays.
I think it's mostly from the manufacturers.

Dare I say, however, that the bulk of the training you'll really need on these will be sales training. Making the sale is infinitely harder than the technicalities of the installation, in my opinion. Maybe easier in Cali... hard to say.

bobbyho

I'm wondering if this will eventually "sell itself". I have been thinking of different ways to change the direction of my business. By changing direction it by default means more profitable. You know "smarter not harder". I went to a class on home intergration which I was really excited about. When I brought it back home and tried to interest others in it, it wasn't embraced the same way. I tend to think that the majority of the people on this and other forums for that matter are the 20% of the industry that is always looking at things with an open mind. I guess for that I am grateful. It still amazes me that many electricians I meet and ask them if they have checked out this forum have never even heard of it let alone considered popping in to check it out. I guess these are the guys that I would never meet at a seminar on green energy or home automation and maybe that is a good thing.

mdshunk

bobbyho said:
I'm wondering if this will eventually "sell itself".
Maybe, but by that time, the people who have already been installing it for years and years will have that market sewn up in your area. They will have also worked out the most economic installation methods and materials, with which you will have just begun experimenting. Both of these are barriers to entry by the time solar starts to sell itself.

I'm not sold on solar energy myself, but I am smart enough to recognize it as a growing trend. I see CHP micro turbines as having more profitable growth potential (per installation) in the power sector.

GilbeSpark

mdshunk said:
I'm not sold on solar energy myself, but I am smart enough to recognize it as a growing trend. I see CHP micro turbines as having more profitable growth potential (per installation) in the power sector.

Solar still has too high of an initial startup cost to justify it for the vasts majority of people. Then when there's a problem with the solar system, who fixes it? Who pays to have it fixed? Then when you go to have your roof redone in 10 years, how much extra is it going to cost to have the panels removed and then installed again?

Right now being "green" still costs more, or has very long return on "investment" times. When it becomes more and more mainstream competetion will kick in and prices will drop. But that'll be a few years down the road.

Keep an eye on it all and when signifigant improvements come about and reduce the costs to get into it, then dive in to learn everything you can about it to stay in front of the rest.

Last edited:

macmikeman

Im learning how to speak Chinese, and how to start up companies that cater to teenagers and the huge amount of time they waste on the internet (My Space,Tiny Pic, Facebook, yada yada yada....). That is where all the world money is going, in those two places. The electrical trade is disintegrating into Craigslist ads for $20 an hour electricians without any licensing.

iwire

Staff member
GilbeSpark said:
Solar still has too high of an initial startup cost to justify it for the vasts majority of people.

But there are people that will install it and the profit margins can be high, I would not turn down business just because the I don't think the customers wants make sense.

I may be going to Arizona for solar training soon....:)

ItsHot

direction

direction

macmikeman said:
Im learning how to speak Chinese, and how to start up companies that cater to teenagers and the huge amount of time they waste on the internet (My Space,Tiny Pic, Facebook, yada yada yada....). That is where all the world money is going, in those two places. The electrical trade is disintegrating into Craigslist ads for $20 an hour electricians without any licensing.
This was my thoughts in asking the question. Why does so many so called electricians work for nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.