This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar question

690.64 (B)(2); Can I have a 200 amp panel fed with a 150 amp conductors, 150 amp OCD, from the Power Company, and have my Photovoltaic system feed the buss with a 60 amp OCD?

I don't think so!
    Thanks.
    Any one seen my reading glasses?;)

I'm not sure that I understand the question, but I think you may be reading that wrong.

"....Supplying power to the busbar..."

The exception says that you can go up to 120%.

After looking into it some more you are correct:

100 amp main = 20 amp PV
    200 amp main = 40 amp PV

so I'm thinking that 150 amp main = 30 amp PV

That's without doing the math of course.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

[COLOR=red]There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.[/COLOR]

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyjwc
      I'm not sure that I understand the question, but I think you may be reading that wrong.

"....Supplying power to the busbar..."

The exception says that you can go up to 120%.

After looking into it some more you are correct:

100 amp main = 20 amp PV
      200 amp main = 40 amp PV

so I'm thinking that 150 amp main = 30 amp PV

That's without doing the math of course.
      The output of a photovoltaic power source shall be connected as specified in 690.64 (A) or 690.64(B). Since this job is being connected to the Load side and it is a dwelling, SO, we have a 200 amp panel feed with 150 amp conductors and OCD,(from the Utilities) we now also fed the panel with a 60 amp OCD from the PV system, We have 210 amps of feed to the panel, we can load it to 240 amps if it is a dwelling. AS per the excep. I think. So we are in compliance. BUT, if it is not a dwelling then we have slipped into a violation as per 690.64 (B)???? HELP
      Any one seen my reading glasses?;)

Comment

Sorry, for some reason I just assumed that it was a residential with that size panel.

Yes you are correct that if it were a commercial building you would be noncompliant.

For commercial it is Main breaker + PV breaker = rating of load center. So basically for Non-Dwelling: Increase load center and use smaller main breaker.
        I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

[COLOR=red]There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.[/COLOR]

John Childress
        Electrical Inspector
        IAEI / CEI / C10
        Certified Electrical Inspector

Comment

Working...
        X