Photovoltaic AC service disconnect requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a project that will have roof mounted Photovoltaic panels, the inverter installed indoors (not readily accessible) with an integral AC/DC disconnect. Our utility requires an AC disconnect and production meter located next to the service meter which is a bi-directional meter. I would like to use the Tap rule with some double lugs in the CT cabinet and feed the production meter directly. The utility disconnect would then be fused to the circuit size that I need. My first question: Is this allowed with out grouping the PV disconnect with the Service disconnect? My argument is yes based on the following code references from the 2008 NEC.

230.82 (6) - the following equipment shall be permitted to be connected to the supply side of the service disconnecting means - Solar photovoltaic systems.
This is reiterated in 705.12(A)

690.56 (B) Facilities with Utility Service and PV Systems. Buildings or structures with both utility service and a photovoltaic system shall have a permanent plaque or directory providing the location of the service disconnecting means and the photovoltaic system disconnecting means if not located at the same location.

690.14 (c) (5) Grouping
The photovoltaic system disconnecting means shall be grouped with other disconnecting means for the system to comply with 690.14(C)(4). A photovoltaic disconnecting means shall not be required at the photovoltaic module or array location. - so the only grouping is with other photovoltaic system disconnects

Second question:

If you interconnect with the service on the Line side of the service meter this constitutes a seperate service - allowable by 230.2(A)(5), again do you have to group the disconnect with the original service disconnect. My understanding of grouping disconnects is PER service based upon 230.72. So again in this situation I could have the utility PV disconnect located on the exterior of the building and not worry about grouping with other services.

Thoughts?

shortcircuit2

I also would like to know if the disconnect in a supply side connection has to be grouped with the building service disconnect per 230.72?

Also should the disconnect be suitable for service equipment according to 230.66?

thanks, shortcircuit2

Marvin_Hamon

There are really two questions here:

1.) what is allowed by the NEC.
2.) what is allowed by the utility.

I point this out because even if the NEC allows you to mount the PV system AC disco away from the existing service entrance, which it does, the utility does not have to go by the NEC and can require you to mount the AC disco wherever they want you to mount it. So if I were you I would find out what my utility's requirements are and work with them as best I could.

Good luck.

wyrepullr

disconnect location

disconnect location

690.14 A disconnecting means shall not be required to be suitable for service equipmentand shall comply with 690.17

in my area the poco's require ac
disconnect near the service meter

Status
Not open for further replies.