Can an inverter be used as a raceway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can an inverter be used as a raceway?

The contractor has installed two Satcon inverters side-by-side and plans to run the conductors through the first one and into the second. He claims Satcon is providing a letter stating that this is acceptable. Has anyone encountered this and or are there any NEC codes prohibiting this?

There is nothing in the NEC that prohibits it per se.

One could treat the inverter housing as an enclosure and enforce all the rules for fill and wire-bending space, etc.. My guess is that a Satcon will generally have plenty of space for that.

Otherwise, I would say it comes down to 110.3(B). So if Satcon is not worried about their listing, that goes a long way with me.

Is there some particular reason you think it's dangerous?

As far as encountering it, I have seen data cabling get passed from one central inverter to another (where it needed to go to both inverters) but not power conductors.

Comment

Thank you Ben, I agree. The only other reference I might add to it is 690.4(B) but as long as Satcon is OK with it, I'm oK.

Comment

Many residential inverters are built specifically for this. I.e., the KO's line up side to side to allow conductors to pass thru.. I have installed many - all Code Compliant and permitted.

Comment

Working...
        X