Supply Side Connection for Residential SolarPV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What is the formulae, NEC rule, that limits the solar inverter(s) output that can be connected to a supply side tap?
It is not the 120% of the buss bar rule, correct?
705.12(A), in part, says "The sum of the ratings of all overcurrent devices connected to power production sources shall not exceed the rating of the service."

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What is the formulae, NEC rule, that limits the solar inverter(s) output that can be connected to a supply side tap?
It is not the 120% of the buss bar rule, correct?
The 120% rule applies to both busbars and conductors.

Meter Socket Adapters????m

Meter Socket Adapters????m

While installing solar in central California we have come across many center fed main all in one panels. Some jurisdictions are stating that we can't use the 120% rule on these panels because it is not opposite end of the bus on the load side. Most of these panels it seems we can't fit a bug or tap into the supply side wiring.

I have heard of some people using socket meter adapters that extend where the meter is in the panel with a knockout and place to install supply side wiring. Does anyone know about these? Does anyone know where to get them? I can see that Solar City has a patent on one from 2010 but can not find a retailer of such a thing. Would really help out, but I am starting to feel that I am chasing a unicorn.

The Milbank tap connectors are a good solution but won't fit all panels, while if this socket adapter exists it should fit all panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.