210.12(B) Exception: AFCI 6ft rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavacano

Chadwick Ferguson, Safe and Sound Electric
Occupation
02 master
Recently AHJ wrote report saying the 4 ft conduit containing circuits does not meet exception since the Hot+Grounded conductor's length would be 8ft in total. Unfortunately interpreting idioms is long and I will paste the email that won the exception back from the AHJ (after Lead Electrical Inspector -> Her Sup -> Technical review committee) however I wish to summarize:

TL/DR: 210.12(B) should deal with length of cable from termination to termination or length of conduit or distance of enclosures as saying "extension of existing conductors is not more than 1.8m (6 ft)" is open to some wild interpretation that would be completely outside of the electrical panel's meaning.

Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:52 AM
To: Lead Inspector (LNI)
Subject: 210.12 B exception

Yesterday you forwarded me a voice message about a panel change that relocated the panel.

The panel location is approximately 4-5 feet away from the original location. The circuits are running through several liquid tight flexes out of the bottom of the panel, through the wall into the old panel can (Zinsco above a stair landing)

The way I read the exception, “less than 6’ of conductor” I see that there is now 8-10’ of new conductor for each 120V circuit (hot and neutral)

What say you?

Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:55 AM
To: Field Inspector
Subject: RE: 210.12 B exception

I say that the panel should be relocated from the stairs so it will have to be ARC-faulted because it is lengthy in relocation

Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:27 AM
To: Field Inspector
Subject: RE: 210.12 B exception

While I do not have [Lead Inspector]’s email this plan was brought up to her on 7/12 she will have record of me trying to get ahold of her through the chief’s office and an email was sent to her saying to call me back.

I expressed the following: Existing 14” wide Sylvania-Zinsco panel located on non-conforming location on stairwell, asking if a new panel can be installed on the stairwell if a landing is put in. Expressed we did not want to move the panel under the stairs as it would be more than 6ft of move and did not want to do AFCI. She confirmed stairwell would not be acceptable for panel and that my proposed idea of putting the panel 4 ft away on the outside of the house would not require AFCI and would be in a conforming location and that conveyances are never issued for panels on stairwells.

Now I know that a phone call is not plan review there is a huge disparity here as all other jurisdictions in this state have the panel located no more than 6 ft away not requiring AFCI. By the same logic take the following must be true for all of your correction action to be true:

A circuit is comprised of only 2 wires, the EGC is not considered a “Conductor” else:
3 wire circuit: Hot+grounded+egc = 2 ft extension before AFCI REQUIRED
4 wire circuit: Hot+hot+grounded+egc = 1.5 ft extension before AFCI REQUIRED

Transversely what you’re claiming:
3 wire circuit: Hot+grounded = 3 ft extension before AFCI REQUIRED
4 wire circuit: hot+hot+grounded = 2 ft extension before AFCI REQUIRED

GIVEN the code says 210.12(B) Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required where the extension of the existing conductors is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) and does not include any additional outlets or devices.

GIVEN the aforementioned section paraphrases: 210.12(B): In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following

The question is: is the phrase “extension of the existing conductors” referring to a branch circuit’s length given the individual conductors (Which I present before is fallacious GIVEN the examples of EGC and multiwire circuits above) or is it referring to the conductors indirectly as a group contained in a set (cable) where that group’s length must not exceed 6 feet. I see this as the more logical and correct interpretation of code as the code does say 6 feet after all and not 1.5, 2 or 3 feet.

PURPOSE

I think Jade Learning provides insight into the panel’s purpose when it states the following:

1.jpg

Since the image might not come through on some cell phones I will type:

This exception was added to cover cases where the dwelling unit panelboard is replaced or upgraded, and the original branch-circuit wiring has to be extended to reach the new location. The Code panels felt 6 ft. was a long enough distance to cover this type of circuit modification.

This is referring to branch-circuit wiring and its idiom is that of the conductors are a set contained inside of that branch-circuit and that set’s length must not be more than 6ft.

CONCLUSION:

I agree the code should focus more on enclosure mounting distance which is its intent in the first place. Given the circumstances I beg you to reconsider the corrections wrote on Permit #XXXXXXXE, even if the content of the email does not sway your interpretation in the future given the communication I’ve had with [Lead Inspector].

I look forward to your response, Have a good day.

References:

Electrical Currents 2014 Issue 07

NFPA 70 NEC 2014

http://www.jade1.com/jadecc/registr...stionNumbers=Yes&output=PDF&expDate=6/30/2014

Thank you,
Chadwick Ferguson

lavacano

Occupation
02 master
Section/Paragraph: 210.12(B) Exception.

Added Text

210.12(B) Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications -- Dwelling Units.
In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:
(1) A listed combination-type AFCI located at the origin of the branch circuit
(2) A listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit

Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required where the raceway length the branch circuit extension is traveling in is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) and does not include any additional outlets or devices.

Substantiation

See Above

Doesnt WAC 296-46B-240 024F allow the panelboard to be over the steps? Or were they citing a working space violation?

024(F) Not located over steps.
If the overcurrent device is a part of a panelboard that is being repaired or replaced in an existing location, the installation is allowed to be made above the steps.

lavacano

Occupation
02 master
Yes, there were a few words had about that also. in the Field Inspectors words "It pays to know the WAC." Unfortunately this specific rule did not come to my, the other PM, the Journeyman, or the Lead Inspector's mind when laying the project out. I believe the main factor is we are primarily a Seattle contractor and when DPD is the AHJ they will not allow the panel to exist on the stairs and are even known to write home owner corrections about this issue if it is persisting.

gndrod

Over stairwell panel

Over stairwell panel

Doesnt WAC 296-46B-240 024F allow the panelboard to be over the steps? Or were they citing a working space violation?
WAC does not permit new construction panels over stairwells since 2014 NEC adoption but that may not affect the project if this is a Seattle City permit that was probably pulled prior to JUL 2015 last year. Those projects would have been under the Seattle 2008 codes that lag behind LNI requirements. The last mid-rise dwelling project I was brought on to consult was the case for the NM install methods upgraded to save time on the project. I am retired but very active publishing on the latest installation methods. (I.e. Dual Function OCPD methods.) RBJ, aka gndrod

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Section/Paragraph: 210.12(B) Exception.

Added Text

210.12(B) Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications -- Dwelling Units.
In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:
(1) A listed combination-type AFCI located at the origin of the branch circuit
(2) A listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit

Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required where the raceway length the branch circuit extension is traveling in is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) and does not include any additional outlets or devices.

Substantiation

See Above

The current wording allows an extension of up to 6' of conductor if you change that to 6' of raceway then the conductors could be of any length.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Iirc, 210.12(B) was an rop accepted to accommodate service upgrades , written by a mod on the site (whom i'll let himself reveal) , so we may have a real 'insider' ...:)

~RJ~

jumper

Iirc, 210.12(B) was an rop accepted to accommodate service upgrades , written by a mod on the site (whom i'll let himself reveal) , so we may have a real 'insider' ...:)

~RJ~

The heck with waiting, I'll out the feller.:D

The 2014 ROP:

2-115 Log #536 NEC-P02
Final Action:
Accept in Principle
(210.12(B))

Recommendation: Add new text to read as follows:
Exception: Where extension of the branch circuit does not include any added
outlets or devices.

Substantiation:
Often times when changing a service in an older home the
branch circuit conductors do not reach the new location of the panel. The wire
is sometimes just spliced inside the panel to reach the termination points while
other times the circuit may need to be extended a short distance to reach the
new location. Since many areas are inspecting this differently throughout the
country this exception would clarify this section and bring uniformity
throughout.

Panel Meeting Action: Accept in Principle

Revise the proposed wording to read as follows:
“Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required where the extension of the
existing conductors is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft.) and does not include any
additional outlets or devices.”

Panel Statement:
The revised wording provides clarity and satisfies the intent
of the submitter.

Number Eligible to Vote: 11
Ballot Results:
Affirmative: 9 Negative: 1 Abstain: 1

Explanation of Negative:
KING, D.: This Proposal should be rejected. It is the intent of Section
210.12(B) to provide AFCI protection where circuits that are covered by
210.12(A) are “modified.” The submitter has not provided any substantiation to
allow for an exception for AFCI Protection in the branch circuit modification
described in his substantiation. Accepting the proposed exception would greatly
dimish the level of safety currently provided by the requirements of 210.12(B).

Explanation of Abstention:
ORLOWSKI,
S.: See my Explanation of Vote on Proposal 2-92.

Comment on Affirmative:
HILBERT, M.: Continue to accept in principle. The issues noted in the
substantiation for this proposal and Proposal 2-11 are often topics of discussion
at IAEI meetings as well as other educational meetings and do need
clarification.

The proposed language as revised by the panel’s accept in principle action
will go a long way in promoting uniform interpretations. It will clarify that
extending branch circuit conductors within an enclosure for the purposes of
replacing a device or utilization equipment or for extending a branch circuit to
a panelboard being replaced or upgraded does not require an AFCI protective
device to be installed.

Six feet was chosen for branch circuit extensions as it should provide a
sufficient length for most applications where an existing panel is being
relocated out of a clothes closet or to comply with readily accessible
requirements, etc.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You outted me :D

Yea, I didn't like that they added the 6' rule as one could argue that the distance is from termination to termination rather than between enclosures. IMO, the 6' distance can be very tight in many instances even between enclosures.

FWIW one cmp member stated the distance is from terminations... not between enclosures.

kwired

Electron manager
Though I see the point of bringing up the fact the rule concerns the conductor length and not the length of a raceway, the inspector in OP is halving the rule by wanting to measure both conductors of the circuit. I think the rule intended to include just the one way length of conductor involved but include all conductors of the circuit in that length.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I can't imagine why the inspector is using the conductor length both ways.... Assuming nm cable then how would 3' of nm being of any help at all... the inspector is in error.

Ask the inspector how he would calculate a multiwire branch circuit--- 2' of cable???? Makes no sense

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I can't imagine why the inspector is using the conductor length both ways.... Assuming nm cable then how would 3' of nm being of any help at all... the inspector is in error.

Ask the inspector how he would calculate a multiwire branch circuit--- 2' of cable???? Makes no sense

Make it a three phase MWBC and you only get 18".

Extend two of them as part of the same panel move and get 9"?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Make it a three phase MWBC and you only get 18".

Extend two of them as part of the same panel move and get 9"?

Yep, gets absurd doesn't it. Not sure if the inspector is just being difficult or if he really thought it was meant to be that way. I can assure him he is ioncorrect

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yep, gets absurd doesn't it. Not sure if the inspector is just being difficult or if he really thought it was meant to be that way. I can assure him he is incorrect

I agree and really would 3' or 6' make any difference? Your proposal was great because it adds direct language as to how the distance is measured and takes care of an extremely common installation.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In Washington we had a state rule that limited the length of unfused service entrance conductors in a building to 15 feet of conductor. This proved to be difficult to measure, so it was changed to 15 ft of raceway.

mwm1752

I was a bit concerned that the panel was required to be moved from a landing area -- if there is compliant clear space on a landing is it really a step?
I do find it a bit disturbing that an inspector is required to measure the make up inside a panel & device box -- you would be eliminating 2-3' on every installation, I use the KISS rule as most measurements are from edge of water/basin/storage space/front of panel/ which would be consistent with jbox to jbox -- show me where the major difference in 9' to 6' as an extension is a life safety factor . There is an option to run up to 70' of 12-2nm without any protection to first device so why would a few extra feet be so critical???

KISS

kwired

Electron manager
In Washington we had a state rule that limited the length of unfused service entrance conductors in a building to 15 feet of conductor. This proved to be difficult to measure, so it was changed to 15 ft of raceway.

Now you have people that think there is no limits on cable methods right? :cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
There is an option to run up to 70' of 12-2nm without any protection to first device so why would a few extra feet be so critical???

KISS

That is only when using a breaker and device that are listed together. There is no such device afaik.. Anyway I agree 6' is too short even without counting the wire inside the enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.