Definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Can you give an example of how that would be a problem? I, too, think all the definitions should be in one location.
The one that came to mind when I made that comment was 240.2 Tap Conductors. The thought was it does not apply to service conductors or grounding electrode conductors [250.30(A)(6)]. Upon reading it again, I see it specifically excludes service conductors and limits the definition to implementations of 240.4... even though it does not have to, should the reader understand the definition only applies to Article 240. But it just goes to show you that even the author perceived a non-limiting definition would likely be taken out of context in other Articles.

I suppose all definitions could be in one location if written properly. However, I believe that would require a fair amount if not a lot of exclusionary text, i.e. stating the definition applies here, here, and here, but not there or there...

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
When a definition is removed from one Article and placed in Article 100 it often takes at least three Code Making Panels (CMP) and often more to agree to the shift to make sure that the Panels don't step on each other's toes. Occasionally, some people would attempt to revise NFPA "standard" definitions.

I personally hate the idea of Section 500.2 definitions being moved to Article 100 where they will become subject to "refining" by people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
When a definition is removed from one Article and placed in Article 100 it often takes at least three Code Making Panels (CMP) and often more to agree to the shift to make sure that the Panels don't step on each other's toes. Occasionally, some people would attempt to revise NFPA "standard" definitions.

I personally hate the idea of Section 500.2 definitions being moved to Article 100 where they will become subject to "refining" by people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

How about leaving them where they are, but adding them to Chapter 100 in the following manner, by example:

"Dust-Ignitionproof. See 500.2

Dusttight. Encosures constructed so that dust will not enter under specific test conditions."

At least all the definitions would be located in a known part of the book, even if it's just the listing and an article number. If you try to look up Dust-ignitionproof as the book is now printed, there is noting in either the definitions nor the index that points to Article 500.

kwired

Electron manager
I think it is simple enough the way it is.

Art 100 definitions apply to the entire document.

Art XXX.2 definitions only apply to Art XXX.

They did move all the section related definitions to .2 of the section they apply to some time ago, before then there were definitions scattered all about the code that only applied to a certain section.

Status
Not open for further replies.