Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please provide a proposal so we can comment. You have until September to get it submitted to the NFPA as a first draft.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Comment

Most terminals with the pressure plate like you showed that I have seen are usually rated to accept 8 AWG.

I can't recall ever seeing a 5 ton unit that needed larger then 8 AWG, unless it had electric heating in it, but then you typically are not landing directly on a contactor either in those instances.

You usually need a disconnecting means near the unit, if voltage drop is an issue run the larger conductor to the disconnecting means and a smaller conductor the short distance of the disconnect to the unit.
      I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
        Most terminals with the pressure plate like you showed that I have seen are usually rated to accept 8 AWG.

I can't recall ever seeing a 5 ton unit that needed larger then 8 AWG, unless it had electric heating in it, but then you typically are not landing directly on a contactor either in those instances.

You usually need a disconnecting means near the unit, if voltage drop is an issue run the larger conductor to the disconnecting means and a smaller conductor the short distance of the disconnect to the unit.
        Thanks for your input. How did you know most are approved for #8? I looked up this component manufacturer product catalog surprised to read that #10 was max. No mention of stranded or solid so you have to assume they approved for both. Other than this one location for this data it is non existent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jgkopp View Post
          Thanks for your input. How did you know most are approved for #8? I looked up this component manufacturer product catalog surprised to read that #10 was max. No mention of stranded or solid so you have to assume they approved for both. Other than this one location for this data it is non existent.
          I don't know, but seems like most that I can recall would accept #8.

Comment

Your where I was at till I looked into this further and was surprised to learn about this #10 limitation. Number 8 fits too, but that makes this a connection that is not UL listed. This exposes a contractor to unintended additional liability. Then one has to wonder and question why the component manufacturer published this wire size as the limitation? They must have their reasons. Then I add a UL listed connector approved for the size wire I am connecting but technically this limitation is still in play.

i could see this being addressed by UL. But if they don't, there has to be an approved way of connecting larger wire sizes to Binding Head Screw terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by Jgkopp View Post
              Your where I was at till I looked into this further and was surprised to learn about this #10 limitation. Number 8 fits too, but that makes this a connection that is not UL listed. This exposes a contractor to unintended additional liability. Then one has to wonder and question why the component manufacturer published this wire size as the limitation? They must have their reasons. Then I add a UL listed connector approved for the size wire I am connecting but technically this limitation is still in play.

i could see this being addressed by UL. But if they don't, there has to be an approved way of connecting larger wire sizes to Binding Head Screw terminals.
              Not going to say all are rated for #8, but some common definite purpose contactors I used to use frequently I am pretty certain were rated to accept 8 AWG conductors. They would have been Cutler Hammer contactors.

I do know Square D NEMA size 1 contactors also accept 8 AWG under a similar style terminal.

Comment

I'm closing this thread. The OP isn't consistent with this forums rules.
                "Bob"
                Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
                Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Working...
                X