Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmc

314.24 Depth of boxes
I had a question on a test that ask for the depth on a box with an enclose devise maximum .
I found 314.24 A that states the minimum for a enclose device which is 1/2 in. That was one of the choose to pick from, but of course that was not the answer. I found the answer 314.24 C 5 that has the heading of Conductor 14 AWG and smaller that finally came up with the correct answer of 15/16
My thoughts are why not have that with the maximum and minimum with the heading 314.24 A heading Outlet boxes with enclosed devices of utilization equipment.
Thank you,
Cmc :?

kwired

Electron manager
314.24 Depth of boxes
I had a question on a test that ask for the depth on a box with an enclose devise maximum .
I found 314.24 A that states the minimum for a enclose device which is 1/2 in. That was one of the choose to pick from, but of course that was not the answer. I found the answer 314.24 C 5 that has the heading of Conductor 14 AWG and smaller that finally came up with the correct answer of 15/16
My thoughts are why not have that with the maximum and minimum with the heading 314.24 A heading Outlet boxes with enclosed devices of utilization equipment.
Thank you,
Cmc :?
answer based on 2014 NEC here - there already is a heading (A) is for boxes that don't contain devices or utilization equipment - that is your 1/2 inch depth minimum situation. There is also a heading (B) for boxes that do contain devices or utilization equipment. (B) happens to have other sub categories mostly based on size of conductors involved.

Seems clear to me the intent of how each part is done, but if you don't like it you are welcome to submit your own public input to try to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.