Final Vote on 2020 NEC?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    No, I am not a member of NFPA and I have written proposals. Now getting on the panels may take some pull...

You do have to create an account- it is free then you can visit all the proposals etc.

Go here---https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stand...detail?code=70 choose next addition and then make sense of what is there.
    Thx Den
    So objectively ,i guess one could say it's the cycle of the toroid....

For whatever (enter rational) reason , big (services) small (outlets) are being scrutinized and subjected to this one key element inherent of all enhanced ocpd devices.

But it's disjointed imho, there is no overall design of coordinated ma from the service on through feeders ,branch circuits , end use outlets

If the NEC is going to evolve towards IEC standards, one would imagine more attention to specifics follow, especially given the manufacturers writing NEC proposals hail from international companies

jhmo

~RJ~
    Last edited by romex jockey; 06-28-19, 07:18 AM. Reason: can't spell....

Comment

What an absolute disgrace.

Comment

Hopefully by the time the 2020 gets adopted here (we are on 14) I'll be long retired. Maybe it's time to start lobbying your state to stay where they are. Why do they think they need to adopt a new code every time the NEC comes up with a different idea.

-Hal

Comment

How many a/c units in Florida or Arizona or anywhere else hot do you think will be GFCI protected after the inspection is over?

Comment

This is just getting way out of control. What they have lost sight of is that the cost of any safety improvement must be taken into account. Most of these things have a high cost with a very small benefit. Many people will end up cutting costs/corners somewhere else and face risks orders of magnitudes higher, such as perhaps having a brother in law do electrical work, or any number of non electrical things. Lots of lives would be saved if the speed limit was 30 MPH........
            Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

The surge protector requirement is particularly egregious, since it is only about protecting property, and far far more money will be spent on surge protectors than the value of the property that would otherwise be damaged.

Comment

You don't think the exterior "firefighter" disconnect is equally egregious?

I really believe they want the surge protector to protect the AFCI electronics.

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
                  This is just getting way out of control.
                  What they have lost sight of is that the cost of any safety improvement must be taken into account. Most of these things have a high cost with a very small benefit. Many people will end up cutting costs/corners somewhere else and face risks orders of magnitudes higher, such as perhaps having a brother in law do electrical work, or any number of non electrical things.
                  More "youtube" electricians.
                  Lots of lives would be saved if the speed limit was 30 MPH........
                  Oh NO! I hated it in the 70's when we had the 55 MPH speed limit.

Comment

Originally posted by jaggedben View Post
                    The surge protector requirement is particularly egregious, since it is only about protecting property, and far far more money will be spent on surge protectors than the value of the property that would otherwise be damaged.
                    Schneider has been working on getting that in for years.

Originally posted by hbiss View Post

-Hal
                    Yes equally. How much can they overthink and complicate things? Seems like 45 min of training and keep some gloves and face shield in the firetrucks is all that is required. Of all the training and things firefighters have to deal with, I dont see pulling a meter as even on the map. Do people really think the utility workers that set and swap meters have years of experience and extensive training??

Edit: changed "an hour of training" to "45 minutes of training"
                    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

-Hal
                      At least the firefighter disconnect has an ostensible safety justification with respect to human life. But yes, it is about 98% as egregious.

Comment

In reality the FD calls the poco to drop power out , for any serious event.....~RJ~

Comment

-Hal
                          The think if we used these, we would not need to protect any electronics:

Our comedian shamelessly joked about a blackout. Talk about dark humor.

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post
                            Thx Den
                            So objectively ,i guess one could say it's the cycle of the toroid....

For whatever (enter rational) reason , big (services) small (outlets) are being scrutinized and subjected to this one key element inherent of all enhanced ocpd devices.

But it's disjointed imho, there is no overall design of coordinated ma from the service on through feeders ,branch circuits , end use outlets

If the NEC is going to evolve towards IEC standards, one would imagine more attention to specifics follow, especially given the manufacturers writing NEC proposals hail from international companies

jhmo

~RJ~

Indeed so?

http://www.eaton.eu/ecm/idcplg?IdcSe...me=PCT_3203220

Comment

Not the slightest doubt should remain that the NEC/NFPA is completely bought and sold by manufacturers now.

Comment

Originally posted by peter d View Post
                                Not the slightest doubt should remain that the NEC/NFPA is completely bought and sold by manufacturers now.

Comment

Working...
                                X