Final Vote on 2020 NEC?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    All of the Certified Amending Motions that passed at the technical session go back the the CMPs, and have to be approved by a 2/3s vote of the panel members, and then, it goes to the Standards Council where it has to be approved again by a 3/4s vote of the Standards Council members, so those sections are not yet final. There is also the chance of appeals to the Standards Council for CAMs that failed to get a majority vote at the technical session.
    So if a NITMAM is passed...it then goes back to the CMP to re-approve the NITMAM or reject it again? Why that seems like an unreasonable process. The CMP could just reject the NITMAM?

Who voted on the CAM's?

Is there a link you could provide to read about the process?

Thanks.

Comment

https://youtu.be/Qc1JFQ70hLk

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post
        Glad he can see it as being excessive.

Perhaps its time to consider this >>>
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
          Glad he can see it as being excessive.

Perhaps its time to consider this >>>
          Why do you always have to muddy the waters with European/British stuff? There is not the slightest reason to believe that we are going in that direction. We're stuck with the garbage AFCIs and the industry is not going to replace them with European style RCDs.

Comment

Originally posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
            ... Who voted on the CAM's? ...
            Any one who has been an NFPA member for at least 180 days and wants to physically attend the meeting can vote on the CAMs as well as the complete document.

The rules can be found at https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/C...019.ashx?la=en
            Last edited by don_resqcapt19; 07-02-19, 07:47 PM.
            Don, Illinois
            (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Originally posted by peter d View Post
              Why do you always have to muddy the waters with European/British stuff? There is not the slightest reason to believe that we are going in that direction. We're stuck with the garbage AFCIs and the industry is not going to replace them with European style RCDs.

1) The NEC is headed toward 100% GFCI/GFP for everything.

2) 3/4 of IEC RCDs do not have electronics, so there is no reason to use the excuse "we need SPDs on every service"

3) A select few manufacturers are gaining control over almost every code on earth under the cloak of harmonization and committees.

Comment

1) The NEC is headed toward 100% GFCI/GFP for everything.

2) 3/4 of IEC RCDs do not have electronics, so there is no reason to use the excuse "we need SPDs on every service"

3) A select few manufacturers are gaining control over almost every code on earth under the cloak of harmonization and committees.
                I get all that, but I simply don't see a move away from electronic GFCI protection here.

Comment

I get all that, but I simply don't see a move away from electronic GFCI protection here.

Sadly we have to deal with self test devices Its going to be epic when a panel full of breakers need to be replaced every 5-10 years.

Comment

Sadly we have to deal with self test devices Its going to be epic when a panel full of breakers need to be replaced every 5-10 years.
                    I agree. Don't get me wrong, I think the industry's decision to use electronics was a bad one, especially for life safety devices. But that's what we're stuck with now. It's planned obsolescence on their part. They get to sell more GFCIs for all the ones that fail.

Comment

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I think the industry's decision to use electronics was a bad one, especially for life safety devices. But that's what we're stuck with now. It's planned obsolescence on their part. They get to sell more GFCIs for all the ones that fail.
                      Yes, which is why people should figure out there is no honesty in the business or the code making panels and NRTLs they are puppeteering.

Comment

Yes, which is why people should figure out there is no honesty in the business or the code making panels and NRTLs they are puppeteering.
                        I'm pretty sure nobody would mistake me for being in support of the NEC or manufacturers.

Comment

Unfortunate that profit cloaked in the guise of safety is our only anenue....~RJ~

Comment

I'm pretty sure nobody would mistake me for being in support of the NEC or manufacturers.
                            my Q is, just how many zero's are manufacturers forwarding? How much insider trading? How much of what we see happening is said/done /bought?

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post
                              my Q is, just how many zero's are manufacturers forwarding? How much insider trading? How much of what we see happening is said/done /bought?

~RJ~
                              We may never know, but I have zero doubt that it is happening.

Comment

But you fail to realize just how prolific the lobbying of codes has become. On a global level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnEgu4mlpGs

Comment

Working...
                                X