Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
1.) NEC Section/Paragraph: 210.12
2.) Proposal Recommends: [new text]
3.) Proposal: Add the following exception:
Exception: In existing dwelling units, where outlets are added to existing branch circuits where AFCI was not present, AFCI protection for such outlets shall not be required.

4.) Substantiation: As the text currently reads, simple additions to older homes are complicated exponentially by this requirement. Prior to the AFCI requirement coming into being, a multiwire branch circuit could be utilized to supply bedrooms and other circuits, and frequently was.

As these older homes are upgraded with ceiling fans, receptacles for fixed in place TV's etc, these old multiwire circuits face the installer with difficult problems due to lack of availability of 2-pole AFCI breakers for different brands of load centers present in older homes.

Currently, when such circumstances arise, an installer is forced to purchase a new load center capable of supporting a like-branded 2-pole AFCI breaker, and must pass this cost along to the consumer. This creates an atmosphere that lends to unlicensed or uninspected work to be done for a lower cost, due to the prohibitive pricing due to unavailability of a fledgling product.

At best, a quality installation will be performed by qualified personnel 'under the table', uninspected, resulting in little hazard. More likely, an unqualified homeowner or installer will attempt the work at reduced cost, ininspected, leaving the AHJ powerless to inspect these installations that were spawned by what looks to be an unintended consequence of the wording of this section. There is a greater threat posed by the uninspected work this section creates, than by not having the AFCI protection in the first place.

As the technology evolves into a more versatile product than can better meld into existing installations, this exception can be dropped to effectively enhance safety in existing dwellings. Until then, there is a real-world negative scenario set up by the restriction of this section.

Attached is an online conversation regarding some of the unexpected consequences facing reputable electrical contractors today.

Attached

[ October 15, 2005, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

peter d

Re: AFCI requirements in existing dwellings

I am no fan of the AFCI, so I like the proposal. :D

Furthermore, we can't make illegal what was legal yesterday. The requirement to retorfit AFCI's seems to violate this principle.

sparky_magoo

I am not an AFCI fan either. I have seen CH AFCI breakers explode when a bond wire is touching the hot terminal on a receptacle. Perhaps they should be called AFCI "fuses".

I was on a service call last week where an old time customer bought a recently remodeled ranch house. The complaint was the receptacles in his home office quit working. I found a probable loose connection had caude arcing which burnt the NM's back almost a foot. The conventional breaker never tripped. Do you suppose an AFCI would have tripped? The remodel is less than one year old. The home office was formerly the master bath. I would call his office a bedroom because it has a closet. I think the remodel contractor should have installed an AFCI. The new master suite does have an AFCI installed.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

The conventional breaker never tripped.
It's likely the AFCI wouldn't have reacted to this either. The series arc requires a threshold of 50 to 70 Amps current to be exceeded twice within 6 to 8 half cycles before the circuitry will operate the interrupter.

"Glowing" connections can release enormous amounts of thermal energy at circuit running currents.

sparky_magoo

Al, I agree with you. I have to ask, what good are AFCI breakers? Theyr'e expensive and I've observed a high failure rate with CH models. Some have been bad out of the box.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

"Some have been bad out of the box."
In most cases the cause of AFCI breakers is a ground to neutral connection on the load side of the AFCI.
Its very similar to what happened when GFCI's became common, it made liars out of many electricans, as there were wiring errors on the GFCI load side.
Remember an AFCI has GFPE set at 30 or 50 mA and will trip if the neutral is regrounded....

pierre

Magoo
I have spoken to a lot of contractors here (AFCIs not required, but many are installing them anyway) and they have very little complaints with them. I find this a little odd - as usually we see the same compliants at work as I see on this site.

sparky_magoo

Originally posted by tom baker:
"Some have been bad out of the box."
In most cases the cause of AFCI breakers is a ground to neutral connection on the load side of the AFCI.
Its very similar to what happened when GFCI's became common, it made liars out of many electricans, as there were wiring errors on the GFCI load side.
Remember an AFCI has GFPE set at 30 or 50 mA and will trip if the neutral is regrounded....
I have seen bond wires touching neutral terminals in outlet boxes. This trips the GFI protection on AFCI breakers. This is the first problen I check for by lifting the nuetral wire off the breaker and metering for continuity to ground. I have also seen brand new CH AFCI breakers that just plain didn't work. The problem would follow the breaker, not he CKT. I did tract homes at my last job and spent way too many hours troubleshooting poor workmanship. I am glad to be out of that rat race.

tonyi

The conventional breaker never tripped. Do you suppose an AFCI would have tripped?

A while ago I fixed a problem with receptical(s) gone bad in a Karate studio that was tripping a CH115AF with no loads plugged in. It was all plastic and NM and looked OK when I pulled it apart. No bootlegs, tight connections, etc.

Temp splices to eliminate the recepticals and just make the branch one wire with nothing on it cured the trip. Put in new recepticals and it was fine.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Ah. Why do I get the sensation that this proposal is sitting in a filing cabinet in MA with a "REJECT" stamped on it? :D

(4/24/06) Edit: I just realized that I never submitted this proposal. I must have overlooked it when I was getting them in order. I seriously doubt this would have changed anything, though, so, I'm not terribly tore up about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.