New sections to Article 430 - Servo motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

megloff11x

I think Article 430 needs additions related to installing servo type motors. These motors run differently and the manufacturers have their own system of ratings. While most motors of this type are very small, they do make enough that run off higher Voltages and currents to take notice. Further, for most manufacturers of servo motors and controllers, their choice of terminology does not lend itself to fitting in with NEC 430.

I do not feel qualified to submit a change, but I'm hoping someone out there, maybe one of the manufacturers or larger end users, would. I don't have the facilities to test, or test data to support any criteria or guidelines.

Matt

bphgravity

Re: New sections to Article 430 - Servo motors

Perhaps if you submitt a proposal, others out there with this information can make a comment with the supporting data during the comment period.

Otherwise, I would suggest you associate your self with organizations that share your similar interests. Perhaps you can organize a committee or task group for this purpose or least participate on one which will alow to voice your issues.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Matt,
You have plenty of time to work on your proposal. The time has passed for 2008 proposals. The proposals for the 2011 code will be due no later than early November 2008.
Don

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

There really is not a lot different with a servo motor.

The same principles apply.

Overcurrent protection required, grounding, and short circuit protection.

The differences are really cosmetic. you are used to seeing a contactor with built in thermal overloads as the controller, where as typical servo motors have a power supply that includes an integral overload and semiconductors as controllers. Not really all that much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.