210.8(A)(1) Bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Note to self: This proposal will not be submitted.
1.) NEC Section/Paragraph: 210.8(A)(1)
2.) Proposal Recommends: [new text]
3.) Proposal: Add exception to 210.8(A)(1)
Exception: Receptacles that form part of a listed bath fan assembly.
4.) Substantiation: Bath fans often come with a type of receptacle that is concealed, yet is technically in the bathroom. Given the non-standard location and configuration of the receptacle, there is no danger of personnel using it for other purposes.

Is this too much? :)

[ May 04, 2005, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: 210.8(A)(1) Bathrooms

George, I don't think we need to worry about this, and if we do, we will have to address the problem that these receptacles are usually two prong receptacles and are in violation of 406.3(A) :D

Now, in reality, componets within a manufactured assembly are not part of the "branch circuit" wiring, and would fall under NEMA and / or an NRTL regulation.

The good news is, we can attach a cord and plug to the whole assembly and connect it to a SA receptacle on a kitchen counter top along side any table lamp we may have on the counter top. :D

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: 210.8(A)(1) Bathrooms

Thanks for the reply, Roger. :)

Okay. I went looking for a section that said something close to what 406.7 said, but for individual utilization equipment, but couldn't find anything. :D

Now it's been demonstrated to me that a piece of equipment is not to be dissected. We direct wire the fan, so whether that appliance has an internal receptacle or not, it's still a bath fan. ;)

[ May 04, 2005, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

Status
Not open for further replies.