Status
Not open for further replies.

quillazz

Proposal

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets

(A) General Provisions. In every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units, receptacle outlets shall be installed in accordance with the general provision specified in 210.52 (A)(1) through (A)(3).

(1) Spacing. Receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8 m (6 Ft.) from a receptacle outlet

New Text
New Proposal

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets

(A) General Provisions. In every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units, receptacle outlets shall be installed in accordance with the general provision specified in 210.52 (A)(1) through (A)(3).

(1) Spacing. Receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8 m (6 Ft.) from a receptacle outlet. Lay out of receptacle outlets shall be readily accessible after placement of furniture

ryan_618

Re: 210.52

1) What is your substantiation?
2) Who enforces it? Me as the AHJ? Do I get to tell people to move their couches?
3) How can this be enforced?
4) How many people have been injured because of this, thereby warranting its change?

jwelectric

Mr. quillazz
Personally I like the idea myself. This could be obtained in a couple of ways. One we already have with the 24? wall space outlined in 210.52 (A) (2). Another is to require a receptacle with-in 24? of a door. If this can be achieved in 210.60 (B) for guest suites it would be easy enough to figure out here.
I can see this as a way to create a readily accessible receptacle for convenience.

mc5w

For an inspector to guess at possible furniture placement might be difficult.

However, some home decorators try to put receptacles behind furniture. In a lot of instances that makes receptacles difficult to reach and encourages use of extension cords.

I have often found that installing 1 more receptacle location than what the 6 foor rule requires usually takes care of this. Also, the 6 foot rule does not account for the vertical distance that a cord takes. Usually, when repairing tables lamps I will put on an 8 foot cord. Nothing illegal about this, just that the 6 foot rule is a convention as to how much money the manufacturer is required to spend.

iwire

Staff member

This is nuts to even consider, it is not possible to know how people will place their furniture.

If this can be achieved in 210.60 (B) for guest suites it would be easy enough to figure out here.
It is not achieved in gust suites either.

We have wired many hotels and at the time of installation we comply with 210.60 (B).

A month down the road the management decides that they need more 2 bed rooms so out goes the single king bed show on the prints and in comes the two double beds.

Outlets are now in the 'wrong' locations.

IMO when you write code rules that are clearly unenforceable / unobtainable it takes strength away from the rest of the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.