X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revise Section 90.2(A) as follows:

Revise the 2005 NEC Section:

"90.2 Scope.

(A) Covered. This Code covers the installation of electrical conductors, equipment, and raceways; signaling and communications conductors, equipment, and raceways; and optical fiber cables and raceways for the following:"

So that it will read as follows in the 2008 NEC:

"90.2 Scope.

(A) Covered. This Code covers the installation and use of electrical conductors, equipment, and raceways; signaling and communications conductors, equipment, and raceways; and optical fiber cables and raceways for the following:"

Reason:

Everything that is installed is also used by someone, and there are entire articles covering installation and use of many electrical products.

Re: Revise Section 90.2(A) as follows:

Joe,
    How could that be enforced?
    Don
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
      Joe,
      How could that be enforced?
      Don
      Don:

I am not sure, but it is true and the NFPA CMP 1 members should think about this issue very carefully.

I will submit this proposal to the NFPA.

Comment

Joe,
        I think that any attempt to enforce a rule like that would be a serious affront to the 4th Amendment.
        Don
        Don, Illinois

Comment

http://www.archives.gov/national_arc...ranscript.html

Don: How is this suggestion any different from 110.3(B)?

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.
          :confused:

Comment

Don, Illinois

Comment

Such an insane rule would seem to require the end user to get a permit to plug an extra TV in.

I think such a rule would not only be unenforcable but widely laughed at. It would tend to make the code less enforcable.

plus there is absolutely no reason for it.
              Bob

Comment

Then what about AFCI's for AC Units 440.65, and other rules calling for specific safety items for hair dryers and other personal grooming appliances -- it is in the code! :confused:

Comment

Joe, you are running amuck. What are you really trying to accomplish?
                  Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy[COLOR=red][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by charlie:
                    Joe, you are running amuck. What are you really trying to accomplish?
                    I think that the Code should add the words I mentioned in the first post.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant and Instructor

Comment

Joe,
                      I don't think those rules belong in the code either. They are not within the scope of the code. Those things should be left to the product standards.
                      Don
                      Don, Illinois

Comment

Don:

I agree, that's probably a better approach, as you suggest, however, that will never happen because the structure of the NEC Committee and NFPA's long standing affiliations with the major groups are set in stone.

I would like to hear what you would propose, for example, would you want to delete certain sections and articles from the code, Annex A, etc.?

Comment

Did someone forget their meds? :confused:

Comment

Joe,
                            To start with, I think that the code, for the most part, should stop at the point where the equipment is connected to the building wiring system(the outlet). That would mean anything to do with plug and cord connected equipment should be removed.
                            I don't see a problem with the Annex, as that is informational only, not code rules.
                            Don
                            Don, Illinois

Comment

Don, that is exactly why we revised 240.5. CMP-10 does not feel like in general that the Code should cover wiring that is not building wiring. This is a product standards issue.
                              Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy[COLOR=red][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X