Add new voltage for Mexico use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka6chp

ref: 220.2 (A). Since Mexico has now adopted the NEC, and is using it down there, i would like to suggest that their voltages be added to this section, namely: 127, and 220Y/127. These voltages are the most common down there away from the US Border areas (i.e. the interior of the country). Thanks.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: Add new voltage for Mexico use.

I'm relatively familiar with the Normas; I've done several projects for PEMEX.

What I am not familiar with is the adoption process in Mexico. Such a Proposal would likely be deferred to a "local adoption" or covered as another "specified" voltage.

charlie

Bob, the NEC is being touted as an international Code and is translated into Spanish, shouldn't these voltages be included into the list? Perhaps, all of the voltages should be removed and a statement to use the nominal voltage that will be supplied would be more appropriate. :D

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation

Actually, I'd lean toward Charlie's alternate suggestion - eliminating them altogether. Right now in my mind, I'm trying to rationalize the safety issue(s) involved with specifying "standard" low voltages for computations. I have a vague sense where "consistency" at a given system level may have some value.

Medium voltages are omitted already; and voltage drop, which in my opinion, has a more significant potential effect on safety, at least for motor driven equipment, is also not mentioned.

If we come to a conclusion - who wants to formalize the Proposal :D

charlie

Bob, I am surprised you would ask, ka6chp made the first post, it is his to make. We will help him with formalizing it but it should be his.

By the way, it seems like laundry lists are on the way out in some places, that is why I suggested the elimination. :D

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation

Originally posted by charlie:
Bob, I am surprised you would ask, ka6chp made the first post, it is his to make... :D
You're absolutely right Charlie.

ka6cp, you have first crack at this one. Please review the Welcome page and reformat your proposal. If you think you already have enough input to make a Proposal please let us know its content and we'll do our best to help you "fine tune" it.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

this is a good proposal and is right along the NFPA's intent to market the NEC. However the 2005 NEC removed the laundry list from Separately Derived Services, to be more inclusive, and not have to add new separately derived services as they are invented. I would suggest the same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.