"What is considered a Laundry Circuit"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Re: "What is considered a Laundry Circuit"

George we must keep in mind that when we install an extra receptacle to a laundry circuit (for which a receptacle was already installed for) for maybe a iron we must use 210.23(A)(2) which would limit the laundry equipment to 50%
This is why we can bring in another branch circuit to feed these items. and they don't have to be called a laundry circuit. This very subject came up at out state IAEI meeting this past week and that was the response.

Edit again: spelling :roll:

[ February 08, 2005, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

What about the washer's cord?

See, here's my thought. Right now it's perfectly legal to pull the gen. use recep. in 14. If an iron is plugged in, the lights dim.

If the 20 amp circuit for the washer was feeding that receptacle, the lights wouldn't dim as much.

We run into the same problem with too much connected load on the 15a circuit too-there's a bunch of cans on the circuit, and and iron comes into the picture, and you only had 15 amps to start with...

Wouldn't it be better to use the washer outlet, since it's close, and it's 20 amps?

If this sounds like rambling, I just woke up. :)

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

If we're gonna start talking about 50% and 80%, you guys are applying logic to this issue and we'll just go 'round and 'round with it and argue till we're blue in the face. Let's go back and look at the wordings of:

210.23(A)Exception :
The small appliance branch circuits, laundry branch circuits and bathroom branch circuits required in a dwelling unit(s) by 210.11(C)1,2 and 3 shall supply only the receptacle outlets specified in that section. Notice it says receptacle outlets (plural)

210.23(A)(1): The rating of any one cord and plug connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80% of the branch circuit ampere rating.

In theory, you can install a 6-way receptacle splitter and have 6 different cord and plug attached appliances plugged into it as long as neither one exceeds 80% of the rated amps for that circuit.

210.23(A)(2)The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place , other than lighting fixtures, shall not exceed 50% of the branch circuit rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

BTW, I have never seen a residential washer or dryer that was "fixed in place". They all come with attachment cords.

Again I state, if the 2008 CMP wants us to interpret this to be anything other than what it states then it should be made crystal clear and not subject to the interpretations of us all, especially overzealous inspectors (no offence intended). Am I off base on this ?

[ February 09, 2005, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

1.) NEC Section/Paragraph: 210.11(C)(2)
2.) Proposal Recommends: [revised text]
3.) Proposal: Change a term and add an exception:
(2) Laundry Equipment Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry equipment receptacle(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Exception: General purpose receptacles within the same laundry area shall be permitted on the laundry equipment circuit.
4.) Substantiation: As it is currently written in the 2005 NEC, Laundry areas are to be treated in the same method as the areas defined in (C)(1) and (C)(3). It seems to unintentionally elevate the status of an entire laundry room as a special location. This presents conflicts, in that if a washing machine is to be located in a basement or other room where the laundry is secondary to the primary purpose of the room, the entire area could be regarded as a laundry area, requiring all receptacles to be supplied by that circuit.

It is generally assumed that the laundry receptacle is to be used for the washing machine and gas-dryer ignitor receptacles. Changing the terminology to address the equipment to be served will clarify the requirements of this section, and allow installers to install general-purpose receptacles from a general purpose branch circuit to serve wall spaces and shelves in laundry rooms.

Pertaining to the exception: Given that other cord-and-plug-connected laundry-related appliances such as irons have a high probability to be used in the laundry room, it is reasonable to allow this 20-ampere circuit to supply other receptacles in the same space for such potential uses. It is more desirable to extend the 20-ampere circuit required to encounter this potential load, than to require the receptacles to be supplied by a 15-ampere circuit for general lighting and receptacles.

Please note this is submitted with a coordinating proposal to modify 210.52(F) accordingly:
(Change 210.52(F) to read:
210.52(F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for laundry equipment.)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

1.) NEC Section/Paragraph: 210.52(F)
2.) Proposal Recommends: [revised text]
3.) Proposal: Change 210.52(F) to read:
210.52(F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for laundry equipment.)

4.) Substantiation: This will clarify that the receptacle is required to supply the laundry equipment, not the entire room as a whole.

Please note: This proposal is submitted in coordination with a similar proposal to revise 210.11(C)(2).

jwelectric

I can?t remember where but some where over the past couple of days while researching material for the small appliance circuit I saw something about the laundry circuit.

The statement about the (s) found at the end of outlet(s) had a meaning. This was to allow for the connection of a gas fired dryer.

Might not mean much but I thought I would post it anyway.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement: The addition of term "equipment" as proposed by the submitter adds no further clarity to the present text. The proposed new exception is not necessary. The rule as written does not limit the number of receptacle outlets supplied by the laundry branch circuit.
That sounds like an answer I can live with, until the next sentence:
However, that circuit shall not supply outlets that are not covered in 210.52(F).
But, I was trying to make clearer what 210.52(F) was covering. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.