Receptacles Within 3' Of a Tub or Shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receptacles Within 3' Of a Tub or Shower

Receptacles are no longer permitted within the 3' of a tub or shower. Don't know what people with the $2000 toilets that require power are going to do.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

I sure hope designers are going to learn that. In some bathrooms, the required receptacle would have to be within that distance.

Comment

Is this in the 2020 NEC?

Comment

Originally posted by mopowr steve View Post
        Is this in the 2020 NEC?
        Yes, Section 406.9(C), 2020 NEC.

Rob

Comment

Might be impossible with some small bathrooms
          They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
          She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
          I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
            Might be impossible with some small bathrooms
            They would have to be placed behind the door, or in the hall, or adjoining room.

We still get calls to put the first and only receptacle in existing bathrooms.

(My new last NEC, hasn’t arrived yet)
            Tom
            TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
              Receptacles are no longer permitted within the 3' of a tub or shower. Don't know what people with the $2000 toilets that require power are going to do.
              NM, deleted it.
              Tom
              TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
                The rule defines a new "zone" that goes UP from the top of the bathtub rim, or, from the top of the shower threshold. As I read it, the receptacle can be mounted right beside the bathtub body as long as no part of the receptacle is as high as the tub rim.

Same for shower thresholds, as long as there is a threshold, AND the threshold is higher than the receptacle.

So a toilet mounted adjacent to the tub can have a receptacle low, on the wall, IMO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020NEC406_9C.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	2538185
                Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Al, one issue with your install

210.52(D) Bathrooms.

At least one receptacle outlet shall be instal⁠led in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop, located on the countertop, or installed on the side or face of the basin cabinet. In no case shall the receptacle be located more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the top of the basin or basin countertop. Receptacle outlet assemblies listed for use in countertops shall be permitted to be installed in the countertop.

Comment

Al, one issue with your install
                    Dennis, re-read Rob's OP. He's asking about toilets that require a cord and plug connection.

Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by al hildenbrand View Post

Dennis, re-read Rob's OP. He's asking about toilets that require a cord and plug connection.
                      Yes, I stop at 3' from the tub...Missed the toilet part. I was wondering why you had that in your post..hahaha

Comment

Attempting to " Engineer Around " what should be common sense and proper eductation will ALWAYS fail. It will lead to a worse position and situation than is currently being seen.
                        Microwave Poison will be seen to be a Trillion times worse than Asbestos.

Comment

Yes, I stop at 3' from the tub...Missed the toilet part. I was wondering why you had that in your post..hahaha
                          Are you saying you stop installing receptacle outlets 3' from the "tub," or the 406.9(C) "tub zone?" The question is, with a $2,000 electric toilet right beside a tub, can I put a receptacle outlet on the wall behind the toilet and within inches of the side of the tub?

My answer is yes, as long as the top of the receptacle outlet is below the top rim of the tub (which is where "the zone" begins.).
                          Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

LOL...What I meant was that I stop reading Trevor post after I read
                            3' from the tub

I would have to agree with you on the placement of the receptacle based on the wording, however I doubt that is the intent. I believe the thresholds are mentioned simply to state that the height measurement must be from the top of the threshold not from the floor.
                            The only issue may be the wording "all encompassing". My suspicion is that an authority having jurisdiction will read that as a violation if it is installed below the threshold and within 3'

I am posting the section for others to read

406.9(C) Bathtub and Shower Space.

Receptacles shall not be instal⁠led within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. The identified zone is all-encompassing and shall include the space directly over the tub or shower stall.

Exception: In bathrooms with less than the required zone the receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be installed opposite the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold on the farthest wall within the room.

Comment

If there's a modern style curb less shower you're out of luck.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X